Has tech hardware really come on in last 10 years?

Options
ClarkeKent
ClarkeKent Posts: 336 Forumite
edited 4 February 2018 at 11:13PM in Techie Stuff
I watched Blade Runner 2049 last night and was marveling at the future tech etc, but got me wondering has the last 10 years of hardware technology has really been that impressive?

What since 2008 has really been life changing, amazing technology?
I know we have had smartphones, drones, voice-enabled devices, autonomous cars (beta) to name a few. but nothing I would view as, amazing.

I feel with the state of AI and machine learning as it is, we are perhaps on the cusp of very fast technology advancements over the next 10-20 years.

But, are we always too optimistic about what tech the future will bring?

Comments

• hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    1918118797_1363412527039864_4621554413650148757_n.jpg
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cant complain about my Broadband speed being over 50 times faster than it was in 2008 and a 100 times faster than it was in 2004.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    ClarkeKent wrote: »
    What since 2008 has really been life changing amazing technology?

They haven't changed many lives but battery powered cars that can do 0-60mph in around 2 and a bit seconds is quite amazing.
    Then there are self driving cars.

How about tablets such as the ipad? (first released about 8 years ago).
    Nowadays, some of these devices have better computing power than PC's of not too long ago and they can are used in many fields as invaluable work tools.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    cranford wrote: »
    Cant complain about my Broadband speed being over 50 times faster than it was in 2008 and a 100 times faster than it was in 2004.

I have plenty of scope for complaint, where I live. I don't think BT have advanced that much since 2008: what they call "Superfast" is actually less than half the 24 Mbps figure it's supposed to be. And we have a Superfast Broadband FTTC service in the village. BT have been dragging their feet for years and successive governments do nothing about it.

In Louth town BT suddenly woke up, when Virgin moved in and began laying down cable. Too late! And an engineer tells me that Virgin will be in our village within 12 months. Bring it on! That will be progress!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    There's many technologies that existed in 2008 but they've come on so much that they've made a significant change. Smartphones have continually evolved and increasingly replaced dedicated devices, mp3 players and compact cameras, they're working their way into cars with Android Auto and Apple Car Play plus their first steps into seriously replacing PC's as well.

Also we've seen the move from physical to digital, I remember how futuristic an optical disc seemed when I saw it in a Bond film but now a blu-ray disc seems almost like a vinyl disc now. It's not just that we can stream music and video but the huge selection and ease of playback, it's incredibly convenient to consume such media on a variety of devices and have the progress synchronised between them all.

Personal data is also more likely to be stored online and almost returning to the mainframes of old with the bulk of processing carried out by central servers and the end devices are just clients. I remember when voice recognition just seemed a joke but now we have comparatively powerful AI assistants which are not many steps away from Joi in Bladerunner.

On a different note, I find the new VR systems simply incredible. I had no interest in them as I'd used the original and rubbish VR systems plus I'd had no interest in 3D films. However after having a shot of a Rift, I bought a Vive shortly after and it still blows me away in a way that's hard to describe. Beyond the obvious applications it's incredible the potential for the likes of remote communication. You can share your screen which appears as a large TV in a virtual environment and you can sit alongside the other people viewing the screen and chat to them as well with the system representing how they are moving as well. It's quite eerie in some multiplayer games where the person has a human avatar and it has accurate movement since it can track the head, hand and body positions.
  • ClarkeKent
    ClarkeKent Posts: 336 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2018 at 11:14PM
    Options

When I was with Pipex in 2005, they offered 2mbps, now Sky offer 17mbps in the northern town I live with 11mbps being the average. So in 13 years, where I am, I would actually say broadband speeds have been a disappointment in the last 10 years. Upload speeds are still pretty atrocious as well IMO.

Of course, fiber is a different story
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've worked in IT for 30 years, and the thing that impresses me are the developments in vision and speech-recognition systems. In technical terms, these are both incredibly challenging and their steady development over the past 10 years has been fascinating to watch.

Neither are yet perfect, but I would expect further steady development and it's only a matter of time before we start to see phone-based and other customer service situations beginning to be staffed by lucid, fluent and adaptable voice-recognition systems.

In terms of finding viable applications for some of these technologies, I think it will be adoption by businesses rather than consumers that will be key.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,445 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours is still the same ... :(
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm pretty satisfied with 300Mbs broadband, much faster than 10 years ago.
    As for the rest of tech, it's far in advance of 10 years ago and probably advancing far faster than it ever did.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with what Johnmcl7 Says about VR and is something that I would call amazing and if you havn't tried it then it's very difficult to explain how good a modern VR system is.

Voice control like Amazon Echo and the internet of things means you can have a pretty futuristic smart home. I've had a few people pretty amazed at my Echo Dot and I only have it connected up to a couple of lights and my TV so far.

Another thing worth mentioning is how 3D printers have progressed in the last few years. I think it's pretty amazing how you can create a 3D model of something and then print it out and actually use it at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure