Council killed my entire bonsai plant collection..

Options

Comments

• ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it went to court wouldn't the council fairly easily argue that as it's a residential property they were under no obligation to provide favourable conditions for a collection of plants?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's times like this that I wish I knew how to find the cached copies of deleted posts.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    It's times like this that I wish I knew how to find the cached copies of deleted posts.
    Like this :D
    shuko wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I wonder if I may get some advice here.

The council came to do some work on the block I live in and scaffolded the entire building back and front. This also included wrapping the whole block in a plastic blue mesh that reduced the light into every home by around 50%.

This work was only meant to take a year but dragged on for three and a half years! Many people suffered vitamin D deficiencies due to the natural light into their homes being reduced so drastically and for so long including me. We were all affectively put into and 3.5 year winter. I personally suffered multiple health issues as a result of this but that's another issue.

What I want to discuss is that this drastic light reduction resulted in the death of almost all my plants.

The council have admitted liability and sent me a claim form and said they would compensate me the cost to replace my plants. They kind of choked when I told them they were practically all bonsai trees.
    I had about 72 plants in my home almost every single one planted from seed or cutting, many took several years to even stratify and germinate.
    Some of these plants I started from a single tiny leaf with my mother when I was 15 years old. I am now 53 so I have been tending, nurturing and caring for them for 38 years.

The council killed and wiped out the last living memories I had of my mother who died of cancer 12 years ago. All dead.

The basic cost to replace just some of my plants in terms of young samplings is £2,000. Many of my specimens are completely irreplaceable.

In fact to me ALL of these plants are completely irreplaceable, you simply can not buy if you wanted to them as they do not exist anywhere. 38 years of my life cultivating and nurturing these plants is irreplaceable.

How do you put a price on 38 years of your life’s hobby and work and such deep and personal life memories?

They have basically wiped out my whole collection that gave meaning to my life and pleasure and joy. I have almost nothing left and am now struggling to start them all over again.

Worst of all they have erased and destroyed all the living things that kept me close to my mother and her memory. You cannot imagine the sadness, grief, deeply hurt feelings and pain this has caused me. I have no family
    and keep to myself so my plants were kind of my life..

Nothing can undo this.

What kind of compensation should I be seeking from the councils insurers?

Thank you.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the plants were that important to me, I would have found somewhere else to take them once it was clear the work was dragging on.

I couldn't have looked at them deteriorating every day and not taken action.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    sometimes procrastination is our enemy
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi!
    My sympathy for your loss. Thank you for raising an issue I had not fully comphrended such as the need to do daylight and sunlight assessments and the right of light, daylight, sunlight and of overshadowing.

Good luck with your claim for compensation/compensatory damages etc.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If the plants were that important to me, I would have found somewhere else to take them once it was clear the work was dragging on.

I couldn't have looked at them deteriorating every day and not taken action.

It's a good point. However, IMHO, it sounds as if the OP's head is or has been in a place where making decisions and focusing has been difficult.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,462 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess this was daylight robbery ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Plants do not exist anywhere? How did you get hold of one?

If there was a lack of light why did you not buy a grow lamp and bill the council for it?

Vitamin D deficiency, lots of people i know have been diagnosed with that, just seems something they are testing for these days where previously they didn't check unless you had serious health issues.

How do you cost 38 years worth of growing something? The cost of a couple of grow lamps which would have saved them?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OP's not coming back, too upset to.

Sometimes in order to move forward you need to let go of the past holding us back, nothing good will come of it,, or you will stagnate and wither away.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport