Topping up Revolut card with Credit Card

Options

Comments

• darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just for the benefit of others - I've made a transaction with my Creation card and they charge the transaction as a cash advance rather than a purchase :(
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    darren72 wrote: »
    Out of interest what explanation did you use ?

Does anyone have any experience of this with a Creation card and/or Barclaycard ?

Thanks

That I had (quite truthfully as it happens) topped it up with the intention of using Revolut online at a site (Hargreaves Lansdown) that only takes debit cards, only to discover that Revolut didn't work there so transferred it out to a current account instead. In spite of a long chat with Revolut via Twitter DM I didn't really find out what triggered their concern - probably some automated "suspicious activity" check as I'd taken five top-ups from three cards in 24 hours.
  • dixita
    Options
    hei.. m also facing same problem as above.. anyone can solve?//
  • The_Urbanite
    The_Urbanite Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April 2017 at 2:07PM
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    That I had (quite truthfully as it happens) topped it up with the intention of using Revolut online at a site (Hargreaves Lansdown) that only takes debit cards, only to discover that Revolut didn't work there so transferred it out to a current account instead. In spite of a long chat with Revolut via Twitter DM I didn't really find out what triggered their concern - probably some automated "suspicious activity" check as I'd taken five top-ups from three cards in 24 hours.

Revolut isn't a debit card, it's a Mastercard Prepaid card. You can only get a debit card with a current account - plenty available with banks and building societies which you can fund your Hargreaves Lansdown account with.

Prepaid cards are often used as instruments for money laundering. Many (but not all) people who seek to extract cash from credit cards are up to something dodgy. It looks even more dodgy if you're then using the card with "high-risk" merchants - i.e those where you're buying financial products, credit, vouchers etc. To top it off, using several different cards to load it in a short space of time is going to send alarm bells ringing - and are you using it for ordinary spend and the kind of thing they're advertising, i.e foreign exchange?

Given financial institutions can be severely reprimanded for facilitating money laundering, their cautious behaviour when doing unusual things as a customer should be understood. They're usually ok when you explain exactly what you're doing in addition to providing sufficient proof of source of the funds. They may well block transactions to high risk merchants however.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2017 at 4:42PM
    Options
    Revolut isn't a debit card, it's a Mastercard Prepaid card.

On BIN Codes it comes up as

Card Brand MASTERCARD
    Card Type DEBIT
    Card Level PREPAID

And in Revolut's FAQs:

"What type of card is my Revolut card?

A MasterCard® Debit."

...and Revolut now even give you a sort code and account number.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    On BIN Codes it comes up as

Card Brand MASTERCARD
    Card Type DEBIT
    Card Level PREPAID

And in Revolut's FAQs:

"What type of card is my Revolut card?

A MasterCard® Debit."

...and Revolut now even give you a sort code and account number.
    Nevertheless, Revolut attracts the same interchange fees from merchants as a credit card, and is treated the same as a credit card by merchants or institutions who don't accept them (such as Hargreaves Lansdowne) or who impose a surcharge for using them. For example, an easyJet booking using Revolut will attract the fee for using a credit card, not that for a debit card. This is normal for any prepaid card.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • FAPUMA
    FAPUMA Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments.
    I finally understood that works
  • Bmwm3gt2
    Bmwm3gt2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So does it just look suspicious if you use many cards to top up or is it also the frequency? I'm off to America in a few months and will want to top up multiple times, maybe more than once a day. I don't want to load too much incase anything happens with Revolut and I can't get my money!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cbrookes wrote: »
    So does it just look suspicious if you use many cards to top up or is it also the frequency? I'm off to America in a few months and will want to top up multiple times, maybe more than once a day. I don't want to load too much incase anything happens with Revolut and I can't get my money!
    You will be using Revolut for its intended purpose and there's no reason for any of their security and compliance measures to be triggered. However, at some point you may be asked to verify the card(s) you are using to top up with, if you have not already done so (and if they still use this procedure). The entry on your bank statement for a Revolut top up will show a four digit code such as *1234* - this is what they ask you to enter on the app for each card you have been using. So it would be handy to have the code(s) noted and ready to enter when asked, or maybe there's now a way to do it in advance somehow.

Meanwhile, don't rely on Revolut (or any card) alone, always have some backup. Monzo and Loot are the latest fee-free solutions for overseas that will cost you nothing, whether you actually use them or not.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Bmwm3gt2
    Bmwm3gt2 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you, how do the rates compare to Revolut? And do you top them up with the app like you do Revolut? Sorry for the questions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure