Withdrawing Cash on Your Credit Card Abroad

Options

Comments

• Neil_F._Holland
    Options
    Any idea which ATMs in the US don't charge for international withdrawals? Have used the (now defunct) N&P and Clarity in the past but keen to avoid any fees...

Thinking Starling this summer.
    Now that's a good idea... :D
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any idea which ATMs in the US don't charge for international withdrawals? Have used the (now defunct) N&P and Clarity in the past but keen to avoid any fees...

Most atm's in the US have ATM fees but the actual withdrawal with say the Halifax clarity card is interest and fee free.
    The ATM fee is outside of any card issuer.
  • MoneySavingTart
    Options
    It has been about 5 years since I was last in the States but I'm pretty certain that using ATMs in the bank branches there was not a charge but if you drew cash at a convenience store or gas station then there was a fee charged. So it works rather like here in UK.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It has been about 5 years since I was last in the States but I'm pretty certain that using ATMs in the bank branches there was not a charge but if you drew cash at a convenience store or gas station then there was a fee charged. So it works rather like here in UK.

Was in the States earlier this year - every ATM I saw had a fee which was clearly marked on screen before you even put the card in.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Was in the States earlier this year - every ATM I saw had a fee which was clearly marked on screen before you even put the card in.

And a little jar next to the ATM where you leave a 25% tip? After all, those automated guys do a fine job and they are paid so little.
  • GaryWhite
    GaryWhite Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been using Halifax Clarity card and I believe they frown on depositing money to the account and withdrawl abroad... Still don't know why though but I am thinking they feel it could be money laundering
  • chattychappy
    Options
    GaryWhite wrote: »
    I have been using Halifax Clarity card and I believe they frown on depositing money to the account and withdrawl abroad... Still don't know why though but I am thinking they feel it could be money laundering

It's not that (unless you are depositing large amounts of cash directly onto your CC, in which case it's a concern regardless of the balance). The real problem is that deposit taking is subject to a different regulatory regime. Therefore CCs shouldn't allow it to happen in the normal course of business.
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The only ATM I encountered which is fee free are ATMs in wawa gas stations, the ATM is located inside the gas station and state it's surcharge free. I used Starling however Clarity will also have no fees

https://www.wawa.com/faqs

If there's no wawa stations nearby then you'll have to do your research to find an fee free ATM otherwise be prepared to pay a couple of dollars and take out as much cash as you'll think you'll need.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GaryWhite wrote: »
    It's not that (unless you are depositing large amounts of cash directly onto your CC, in which case it's a concern regardless of the balance). The real problem is that deposit taking is subject to a different regulatory regime. Therefore CCs shouldn't allow it to happen in the normal course of business.

What I've done in the past is take cash out using my Halifax Clarity Card, and when it shows online as a transaction transfer funds across then. I've never had any issues, and end up paying very little in fees / charges.
  • chattychappy
    Options
    Sleazy wrote: »
    What I've done in the past is take cash out using my Halifax Clarity Card, and when it shows online as a transaction transfer funds across then. I've never had any issues, and end up paying very little in fees / charges.

Pretty much what I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport