missing salary

Options
I am going to keep it simple but please let me know if you need more details. I work for one to the main high street banks. Back in September I used our system to change where my salary gets paid into. Due to a mistake I ended up changing the sort code but not the account number. Which meant that my salary ended up paid into someone else's account. I instantly raised a case with HR and Monzo (the bank which received the funds). After much back and forth these have been the rough responses of both companies:

Monzo: Ask your employer to raise a CRP (credit payment recovery) - according to them its the only way to retrieve my money'''

my employer: this is not a procedure within payroll. Either work things out with Monzo and have them send the money directly to you or have them send the money back to us and and we'll send it to you'''

Ultimately' I feel stalemated. Monzo won't do anything because they have a procedure for this type of issue and my company won't do anything because they claim to not have to ability to do a CRP.

Please advise me on what I can do. I am starting a medical treatment out of my own pocket and a month salary would allow me to do this without going into debt (which I am already struggling with).

Please ask any questions or make any suggestions I really need help with this. As it stands neither party are seeking to create a resolution that goes outside of what they used to doing.

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am going to keep it simple but please let me know if you need more details. I work for one to the main high street banks. Back in September I used our system to change where my salary gets paid into. Due to a mistake I ended up changing the sort code but not the account number. Which meant that my salary ended up paid into someone else's account. I instantly raised a case with HR and Monzo (the bank which received the funds). After much back and forth these have been the rough responses of both companies:

Monzo: Ask your employer to raise a CRP (credit payment recovery) - according to them its the only way to retrieve my money'''

my employer: this is not a procedure within payroll. Either work things out with Monzo and have them send the money directly to you or have them send the money back to us and and we'll send it to you'''

Ultimately' I feel stalemated. Monzo won't do anything because they have a procedure for this type of issue and my company won't do anything because they claim to not have to ability to do a CRP.

Please advise me on what I can do. I am starting a medical treatment out of my own pocket and a month salary would allow me to do this without going into debt (which I am already struggling with).

Please ask any questions or make any suggestions I really need help with this. As it stands neither party are seeking to create a resolution that goes outside of what they used to doing.

If you work for a bank, surely they are best placed to sort this? It is highly unlikely that random people on an internet forum would have more knowledge than your employer
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,680 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Escalate from payroll, as they don't seem keen to help. Line manager, perhaps?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd agree it's not a payroll issue, it's an issue of where money has gone.

So, how would you deal with the issue if something other than your salary had been misdirected?

Have you checked the site Jsacker gave? That will tell you if the money is in a suspense account with Monzo (if there's no match, in which case transferring it should be straightforward) or whether it's gone to a live account (in which case your bank trying to recover the money is probably necessary).
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • knobsitckle
    Options
    Never for a second did I think it would be this challenging. I have had plenty of customers come to see me because they have made a mistake when making a payment. However despite it being a bank they have made no suggestions to create a resolution outside of what I explained.
  • knobsitckle
    Options
    @Marcon - If you're talking about my line managers - all they can do is a raise a HR Case'' HR then raises with Payroll and I end up where I am''

If you're talking about a manager in Payroll - I reach out to one and the response was the same only difference was I often waited longer for replies and received more dismissive responses
  • knobsitckle
    Options
    @Jsacker I check it out - it does exist :'(
  • knobsitckle
    Options
    @Savvy_Sue That is what I don't how to find out''' I would've thought that even if its not a Payroll issue they would guide me in the right direction however'' they just washed their hands of the issue''' dismissing it as not their problem

I have checked the site'' the account exists :(
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,680 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Time to raise a formal grievance - this is hardly a unique situation and your employer is being astonishingly unhelpful, especially as they are a bank.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • TrickyDicky101
    Options
    OP, did you input the wrong details or did your employer (payroll function)? Because I can kinda understand why they aren't able to do much if they just followed what you told them to do.
  • knobsitckle
    Options
    Hi

Sorry for the delay in responding, we have been finalising January payroll.

Payroll will make pay day payments to employees, via BACS, based on the details provided on the system. Employees are responsible for updating their details correctly.

As your account details were incorrect Monzo have received the payment and credited an account held on there records, which matches your details you provided to us.

It is not a payroll process to arrange for the recall of salary, I have checked with our Payroll Reconciliations team and they have confirmed the same.

As this was an employee error due to the account details not having been updated correctly, I need yourself to work with Monzo bank to get the September pay, transferred either directly to your correct account or if they will not do this can they return the money to us and we can then make the payment directly to you.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure