Worst commute on Northern Trains?

Options
Watched the "HS2: The Great Train Robbery" and it highlighted how bad the Northerns train are around Manchester area. I live on the Airedale Line (Shipley to Leeds) and we luckily have the very nice Siemens trains for the bulk of the services into Leeds but there are the awful pacers and other grubby non-electric trains too on the line about 15% of the time. But we certainly don't get the worst of it and Northern's reputation is a bit better up this end.

My dad who is a frequent traveller across the North at rush hour has highlighted Hudderfield, Hebden Bridge and Harrogate as particularly bad during the commute (8am peak)

What trains do you get or know where there is standing room only/packed or frequently can't get on?

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you'd be hard to pressed to find any area in the UK where there's not overcrowding in busy areas. When I used to travel with Scotrail, at times there was barely room to stand for up to 90 minutes at a time. The problems look a lot worse at the moment with the problematic introduction of the HSTs.
  • DollyTheSheep
    Options
    You might be right, I was only reflecting to my Dad when we used to go out on the trains in the 80s/early 90s and what a joy it was. So quiet even on busy days like Saturday into Manchester. A different era. They certainly are in a bad state now.

I went to Hong Kong a few years ago and we went into the city on a beautful Heathrow Express style train, very futuristic. Then last year I went from Manchester Piccadilly to Manchester Airport on a Pacer! It was packed with foreigners going back home. I thought what must they think of Britain when they see this??!!
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Unfortunately we're seeing the results of many years of underinvestment in both the infrastructure and rolling stock which is really coming to a head when there's been such a huge increase in passenger numbers. Northern have been hit probably worst by the shortage of DMU's hence Pacer's still in use, 37 hauled trains etc. although hopefully it is going to get better over the next couple of years.

The Pacers are not compliant with new regulations and they're not going to be upgraded either so that means they will finally be retired. There's a lot of new DMU's and hybrid diesel/electric units coming in at the moment as well so the situation should improve.

The poor state of trains in this country is frustrating to me as well as it should be a reasonably cheap and fast way to travel rather than expensive, slow and uncomfortable. I can cycle a good distance so I like the idea of taking the bike on the train and then I've got that flexibility at the other end but trying to book a bike on a train is a nightmare and the costs are ridiculous, far more than my car costs. Then there's the actual fun experience of being packed into a train surrounded by people cracking the alcohol open at 9:30am which I thought was a bit early but apparently I'm just naive.
  • Andrew1974
    Options
    Hi. I don't think it is under investement. I stumbled across a you tube documentary about a rail crash last night. The industry is all about safety. This comes at a price.
  • Johnmcl7
    Options
    Andrew1974 wrote: »
    Hi. I don't think it is under investement. I stumbled across a you tube documentary about a rail crash last night. The industry is all about safety. This comes at a price.

It is absolutely under investment and unfortunately it's been happening for so long now it's in a chronic state as we don't have enough trains, many of the trains we do have are old and well past their design life span all running on infrastructure that doesn't have the capacity or design for a modern railway network.

In the 1970's, the class 43 HST/Intercity 125 was brought into service and increased line speed from 100mph to 125mph. In the late 80's born in the ashes of the APT-P project the class 91 Intercity 225 train emerged that go even faster at 140mph. Except it never did and it never will, after 30 years the entire class is being retired. The lack of cab signalling (a crucial safety system which we are years behind on) and unsuitable overhead equipment meant it would be forever stuck at 125mph and as it was geared for a higher speed it would never do, it's unsuitable for use elsewhere.

Meanwhile services in Europe have continued to go faster and able to offer better capacity with the larger loading gauge.

The Pacers the OP mentions are a prominent example of underfunding, these were designed as a quick and cheap stopgap as they're little more than a bus on the rails without even the conventional bogies a rail vehicle normally uses. Nearly 40 years on however the majority of the fleet are still in service despite their poor ride.

Up in the north of Scotland the main road south is the A9 which is mixed single carriageway and dual carriageway. It's a frequent news topic particular discussions about upgrading it to a full dual carriageway. The railway though gets no mention at all and certainly no money, the A9 has received huge amounts of funding over the years but the railway is an old single line which severely limits its capacity. It's the same story and up down the rail network.
  • oscarward
    Options
    it's not all doom and gloom, me and my wife recently went to a show in london midweek stourbridge to marylebone for £15 return each on a chiltern silver service . plenty of room.

It seems the overcrowding is only in the rush hour which if firms could get flexible working policies could be alleviated?
  • coffeehound
    Options
    I lived in Morley which is the last stop into Leeds on the Huddersfield line. The service didn’t start until 7am, so the first train — always only two ancient carriages — was invariably rammed. Sometimes on the way home in the evening it was not possible to board since it was full. The fumes *inside* the carriages on those old trains is terrible, too.

With situations like this across the UK, it is ridiculous that so much has been spent on HS2 already, let alone that still to be spent. Rail services into London aren’t anywhere near so bad, with large, modern, fast trains. Plus flights are often inexpensive into London airports. HS2 seems like a bizarre mis-direction of resources.
  • SallyDucati
    Options
    I actually choose to drive into Manchester from near Warrington during rush hour rather than contend with Northern Rail. I have done it a few times when necessary (eg. going out for a drink after work) and each time it has been at least 15 minutes late, horrible old pacer carriages that have been so full I've ended up feeling like a sardine. On one occasion the train was so full two stops further down the line were not stopped at. Another two times going home the train has been 10 minutes late leaving the first station!

If I could at least rely on the times on the trains I might use them more regularly and save some £ but at the moment by sanity is worth more than saving money.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Johnmcl7 wrote: »
    It is absolutely under investment and unfortunately it's been happening for so long now it's in a chronic state as we don't have enough trains, many of the trains we do have are old and well past their design life span all running on infrastructure that doesn't have the capacity or design for a modern railway network.

Yet there are lots of "modern" trains in storage, being scrapped etc., which are far younger than the Pacers/Sprinters that are still in daily use (and likely to be for many more years in the case of Sprinters). That looks like more a matter of poor planning than under investment.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even today, journeys of 2-3 hours between Leeds and Lancaster/Morecambe are in the woeful Pacers. If they have to use them due to shortage of stock, you't think they'd relegate them to shorter "shuttle" type services rather than subject people to having to spend hours on the damn things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure