Many students won't pay less for two-year degrees, says Martin - MSE News

Options
The Government has set out plans for accelerated two-year degrees which it claims will save students at least £5,500 in tuition fees compared to a three-year course - but Martin Lewis has warned that many students wouldn't pay any less...
Read the full story:
'Many students won't pay less for two-year degrees, says Martin'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,968 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A friend's soon recently completed a 2 year degree. He said that he regrets doing so.

Firstly, he was in university when all his friends were on holiday, he also had exams at different times. Not only did this effect his social life but it impacted majorly on his ability to find part time work. Both because he had less free time/ more studying to do and because a lot of part time work offered to students eg retail, hospitality expects that students will have a lot of free time to work extra hours in traditional holiday time eg the run up to Xmas and Summer holidays.

Also the student maintenance loan is the same, but he had longer terms, so the money had to stretch over more weeks, whereas on a 3 yr course you can be home for longer (and eating parent's food, using parents electricity & gas).
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Firstly, he was in university when all his friends were on holiday, he also had exams at different times. Not only did this effect his social life but it impacted majorly on his ability to find part time work.

You might also find that some University facilities are closed, have restricted opening hours or are understaffed when the "normal" 3-year students are away. I doubt very much that the students union will run events during these times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure