is 20mph speed limit in residential roads legal?

Options
littlerock
littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
In the recent local elections, our local Lib-Dems campaigned with a promise to introduce 20mpsh speed limits on residential roads in the borough if elected, which they were. Is such a speed limit legally enforceable? and who would enforce it if they introduced it?

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,286 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    littlerock wrote: »
    In the recent local elections, our local Lib-Dems campaigned with a promise to introduce 20mpsh speed limits on residential roads in the borough if elected, which they were. Is such a speed limit legally enforceable? and who would enforce it if they introduced it?

Why wouldn't it be enforceable? Also it would be enforced in exactly the same manner as any other speed limit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If it goes through the correct channels and the correct signage then its legal.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It would, as they are in Birmingham, enforced by the police and enforced quite vigorously if Brum is anything to go by.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • Deastons
    Deastons Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2018 at 7:45AM
    Options
    I hate people who speed. HATE. And too many people do it.

But I do personally think that 20mph is too slow. A lot of London is 20mph and almost no-one actually does that speed. I also find that, when going that slow, it's just too easy to start looking around and allowing things to take my attention away from the road.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Deastons wrote: »

But I do personally think that 20mph is too slow. A lot of London is 20mph and almost no-one actually does that speed. I also find that, when going that slow, it's just too easy to start looking around and allowing things to take my attention away from the road.

So you hate speeding but don’t mind a but of careless.
  • Deastons
    Options
    So you hate speeding but don’t mind a but of careless.
    Where did I say that?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Where did I say that?

In #5.........
  • Deastons
    Options
    In #5.........

I think you've confused me admitting I can get distracted when driving at 20mph with me not minding that I can get distracted when driving at 20mph.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

If drivers stuck to the 30 limit, 20 limits wouldn't be needed. 20 limits drag the speed down from the 40-45 most drivers drive at where possible.
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't mind very short stretches of 20mph limits eg outside schools but I hate longer stretches. I've driven along some of these 20mph roads. Either everything is so congested that 20mph is never reached, or the roads are completely clear, in which case there is no obvious reasons for 20mph limits.

Further, I find in my car that 20mph means 2nd gear as it's too slow for 3rd gear, increasing pollution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure