PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Building control status "work started" from 2000

Options
We are looking at a house that has an extention by the current owners in about 2000. The building contol council website status as "work started" so I assume the owners never got the completed work signed off? Why would they not do this? Possible a bodge job?
Also the plans dont quite match the actual layout and a previously detached garage has been converted and linked up with house which doesnt show on the planning application. Anyone got any experience of similar?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    could be a whole host of reasons - why not just ask the vendor to provide a completion cert. tbh it's nearly 20 years on might be that you just have to take a view of it.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nobody applies for building regs to bodge a job. They just wouldn't apply in the first place. What's the point in paying a fee and drawing attention to job when the purpose is to avoid thebfee and attention? What is more common is people forgetting the final inspection.

There are plenty of non material changes that don't require planning permission (separate to building regs anyway) or fall under Permitted Development. Building regulations can be dealt with without drawings, so if they did make changes they can be dealt with on site.

You're better off asking the vendors than making negative assumptions.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You might be able to find out how many inspections and what stage was reached when they ceased, but I doubt if the council will now sign it off or want to know, especially if further work has been done without notification.

The involvement of the council shows good intentions, but the road to hell is paved with those, so I'd be suspicious that some laxity in specs occurred along the way. Could be a multitude of reasons.

Was it even the vendor who did it?

After 20 years, signs of problems should show if there really are any, or has it been freshly decorated?
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    I assume as it required planning permission that building control would automatically be involved?

Yes I will ask the vendor about it. We havent sold our house yet but when we do we will get a second viewing.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    I assume as it required planning permission that building control would automatically be involved?

Yes I will ask the vendor about it. We havent sold our house yet but when we do we will get a second viewing.

That is not the case - there are plenty of thing that require planning permission but not building regs and vice versa - don't assume anything in these situations, ask the people with the answers
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    Agreed that there are a host of reasons, I think the most common is that the building work itself is done and then the final elements are not completed immediately due to financial constraints/illness/divorce etc. It is then easy to live somewhere without doors for example but because they are on the drawings you hold off the final inspection.
    Sometimes people do not realise, and think that the builder has done it. Given that the building is in use and has been for years I would doubt that there is anything fundamentally wrong.
    Best bet is to see if they can get sign off, but depending on your attitude to risk (and your lender) you could use as leverage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure