I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help!

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It is also worth pointing out that volunteering can lead to paid work. For example, many charity shops employ some staff, and while volunteering is no guarantee that you'll get the job, in some cases it's a definite advantage.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • username901
    Options
    For agency work make some crap up, you've been travelling, caring for a relative, took up being an artist at home, travelled playing chess semi professionally etc. Then once you've got a few jobs under your belt, you can cut down on the crap.
  • amandacat
    Options
    From an employers prospective a 10 year gap is the red flag because it shows you could leave them quickly because you’ve either not needed to work or not wanted to work. Personally if I was interviewing someone the mental health condition would not influence my decision it’d be the risk that the person has been able to manage for all that time financially with no job so I’d worry they’d leave us quickly so that would be the risk for me.

While lying isn’t necessarily the right thing to do, being inventive with the truth may be your only option eg. Perhaps you didn’t work for 10 years because you were a full time carer for a relative...

I back the volunteering advice given, this will give you experience and will show commitment, as well as a work reference.
  • GangBusters
    Options
    amandacat wrote: »
    From an employers prospective a 10 year gap is the red flag because it shows you could leave them quickly because you’ve either not needed to work or not wanted to work. Personally if I was interviewing someone the mental health condition would not influence my decision it’d be the risk that the person has been able to manage for all that time financially with no job so I’d worry they’d leave us quickly so that would be the risk for me.

While lying isn’t necessarily the right thing to do, being inventive with the truth may be your only option eg. Perhaps you didn’t work for 10 years because you were a full time carer for a relative...

I back the volunteering advice given, this will give you experience and will show commitment, as well as a work reference.

Appreciate the advice but I actually have a job now! Full time temp position in a warehouse loading and unloading lorries. 12 weeks to start and if I do well they might keep me on for another 12 weeks :T
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Excellent news!!! Well done!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Huggy_Bear
    Options
    I highly recommend getting into volunteering - to an employer this looks really good and shows you are willing to give up free time for nothing and go the extra mile! worked wonders in my case when looking for a job.

I'm another one to advocate volunteering, you'll be surprised how much you can use this experience within applications and the people you volunteer with will be able to give you a reference after a period of time.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    That's very good news OP. Was that via an agency?
  • GangBusters
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    That's very good news OP. Was that via an agency?

Yeah, I applied to 4 different warehouse positions with 4 different agencies and one of them decided to give me a shot.
  • username901
    Options
    Good for you, well done.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Appreciate the advice but I actually have a job now! Full time temp position in a warehouse loading and unloading lorries. 12 weeks to start and if I do well they might keep me on for another 12 weeks :T

That's great, glad it's working out for you. I wish you the best of luck in your new role. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure