PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MrsCautious
    MrsCautious Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 July 2013 at 3:26PM
    Options
    Doing pretty rubbish on GC. Spent another £39 and we're only at the end of week one. Shampoo being left so it all fell out down the bath and some cooked ham looking ropey way before its use by date hasn't helped. :)

NSD today and made £68.50 at car boot.

Meal plan:

Sunday: baked potatoes, salad sweet chilli chicken pizza
    Monday: YS pasta parcels, Basics pasta sauce, salad
    Tuesday: fish marinated in Indian spices, hm wedges, carrots and peas
    Wednesday: YS lamb chops, potatoes, veg, Yorkshires, gravy
    Thursday: sausage pasta bake with salad
    Friday: left over Pasta bake

I have everything needed for these meals so am going to do my best to have minimum spending before Friday.
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Made it back from Ald1 without buying cake mix - they all needed eggs! Have spent just under £15, which takes me to £40/80 for this month. I think this is OK, as this is to last me to the middle of the month, but would like to have spent a little less... Am really starting to slip on a lot of fronts atm- buying a lot of comfort foods, eating more than necessary, not planning ahead. I plan to move in a few months, so think from next week I'm going to aim to run down my cupboards and only buy enough food for the week ahead. I probably have plenty food to last me the next 3 months anyway!
  • pixiedust09
    pixiedust09 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A NSD for me today:j, and made £44 at the car boot sale:j:j, and melted:(. Have leftover quiche from yesterday for lunch, as I was hank marvin when I got back. We've got A*di pizza and salad for dinner. Then a cold shower and early night for me i think as such an early start. Hope everyones enjoying the sunshine.:)
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am doing well with grocery shopping at the moment, and really pleased!
    Only spent £45.75 so far this week, and dont think i'll need much more (if anything at all) before the next shopping day.

I spent the weekend at my sisters, and she did us a lovely dinner last night of salad, prawns, jacket potato, ham, cheese etc..and i loved not having to worry about making anything.
    I still have Fridays and Saturdays meals as i went to my sisters, so i have added them onto this weeks meal plan.

Re cake mix in SMs- what a waste of money! As others have said, why on earth buy a mix if you have flour, eggs, sugar and butter/marg in the house already.

I made a really easy and delicious carrot cake the other day, and shared them with a friend. Really simple.

They are cupcakes, not a whole cake:

150g grated carrots
    2 medium eggs
    100g soft brown sugar
    5 tbsp sunflower oil
    100g self raising flour
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    100g any dried fruits eg: raisins, chopped apricots, glace cherries ( i used a combo of all of those).

Heat oven to 190 C/gas 5.

Put muffin cases into a muffin pan.

Mix eggs and sugar, beat in oil.

Add dry ingredients and mix.

Spoon into muffin cases, bake for 15-20 mins until firm to the touch and golden brown.

They were delicious!
  • sillyinthepast
    Options
    Well I spent another £46.23 today. I need to be very careful for this to last unit the end of the month.
    £370/£300 April challenge :T:T
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSD here - thats the 6th so far...

Cold roast chicken, pot salad and green salad for dinner, made an asparagus, tomato, motzerella and basil filo tart too, that was munched throughout the day, was yummy...
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £153.23 / £250 up to now for us - month ends on 22nd July so not too bad...
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Shoey1610
    Shoey1610 Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    No spend day for me today and DD was fed lunch at a birthday party so that was a bonus.

I usually use our leftover Sunday roast meat for a curry on a Monday, but after reading about rubber chickens on here, I wondered if I could stretch it any further. I've managed to get today's cold roast chicken and salad out of it (it was too hot for full roast!), enough for curry tomorrow and I froze a portion to make a chicken pie later this week. These were not small portions either, so I'm very happy at how stretchy my chicken was this week.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Budgets done to here :)

Welcome to:
    Shoey1610 and dylan2011 :D

NSD here. Small spend on icecream/lollies yesterday as DD had friends over.

Almost out of milk but DH returned from scout camp with 12 pints unused :D:D Also fruit pies, crisps and biscuits :j

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,928 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I am doing well with grocery shopping at the moment, and really pleased!
    Only spent £45.75 so far this week, and dont think i'll need much more (if anything at all) before the next shopping day.

I spent the weekend at my sisters, and she did us a lovely dinner last night of salad, prawns, jacket potato, ham, cheese etc..and i loved not having to worry about making anything.
    I still have Fridays and Saturdays meals as i went to my sisters, so i have added them onto this weeks meal plan.

Re cake mix in SMs- what a waste of money! As others have said, why on earth buy a mix if you have flour, eggs, sugar and butter/marg in the house already.

I made a really easy and delicious carrot cake the other day, and shared them with a friend. Really simple.

They are cupcakes, not a whole cake:

150g grated carrots
    2 medium eggs
    100g soft brown sugar
    5 tbsp sunflower oil
    100g self raising flour
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    100g any dried fruits eg: raisins, chopped apricots, glace cherries ( i used a combo of all of those).

Heat oven to 190 C/gas 5.

Put muffin cases into a muffin pan.

Mix eggs and sugar, beat in oil.

Add dry ingredients and mix.

Spoon into muffin cases, bake for 15-20 mins until firm to the touch and golden brown.

They were delicious!
    How many does this recipe make please?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/325
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 76
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts