Employer refusing time off for job interview

Options
2»

Comments

• fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest she just says that when the leave was approved she made plans that she cannot change.

That's really sound advice, and so simple. I think she's freaking out a bit because she knows (or thinks she knows) that the reason being is her line manager's got wind of the interview. She could just say very sweetly "I'm sorry. I'd love to help but that's not possible now. I've made other plans".

The problem is she freaked out this morning when she was told and blustered and flustered a bit apparently. Her manager sounds a right @rse though.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My former employers had the same attitude. My response was always "either you book it as holiday, or I'll take it as unpaid leave". I always won.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    This has had a mention on twitter so bumping up for new comments. What do you think?!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    What do I think - that after four and a half years she's a bit late to try and get the day off for that interview now!
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    This has had a mention on twitter so bumping up for new comments. What do you think?!

Surely better to encourage the twitter bod to start a new thread?
  • BoJangles_2
    Options
    I find it strange and a bit controlling of the company to do this. I can understand them being a bit unhappy that they'd have to go through the whole process of recruitment/training but ultimately they can't stop people from leaving!! There isn't much that can be done apart from either not attending or having another 'chat' with management to see if they can be persuaded. But next time, don't tell your 'friend'!!
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    What do I think - that after four and a half years she's a bit late to try and get the day off for that interview now!

Great for people with similar queries now though. It's why we don't remove old threads :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    Great for people with similar queries now though. It's why we don't remove old threads :)

Any sensible forum would lock threads that haven't had any update for a reasonable length of time (and over 4 years is definitely long enough) so we wouldn't be bothered by this nonsense just because somebody writes a tweet.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "What do you think?!`"

What a waste of our time bumping old thread, especially when the OP did not come back to give an update.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Any sensible forum would lock threads that haven't had any update for a reasonable length of time (and over 4 years is definitely long enough) so we wouldn't be bothered by this nonsense just because somebody writes a tweet.
    This!

Much better to lock threads one year old plus and for people to start new threads.

Legal information could have changed by this time.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure