PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Threatening letter from council

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jon8871 wrote: »
    Really amazes me that most of the people here think that not responding to a letter is worthy of a threat of eviction and a criminal record. What kind of lives do you lead?

I am done with this thread now, people annoy me more and more every day. Well, most people anyway.
    I'm pretty sure there will be lots of housing officers working for your council saying exactly the same thing. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Really amazes me that most of the people here think that not responding to a letter is worthy of a threat of eviction and a criminal record. What kind of lives do you lead?

I am done with this thread now, people annoy me more and more every day. Well, most people anyway.

Quite normal lives I expect. One's that don't involve being annoyed by 'most people' 'every day'.:)

Anyway, it doesn't matter what a bunch of anonymous MSEers think about your letter threatening eviction and a criminal record. IF you don't like it, complain to Dartford BC.

https://www.dartford.gov.uk/by-category/council-and-democracy2/complaints/our-formal-complaints-procedure

Or speak to your local councillor.
  • jon8871
    jon8871 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I pity the council come Monday. No wonder they have to sit behind glass screens. "I've come to complain about the possible free re-wire you've offered me!".
    OP- please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money.

If you reread the first post, you will see I am not complaining about the rewire. Would rather not if I had the choice. When I phone I will be booking the inspection, and they can do what they need to do. Come here to post as I felt it was an unfair letter, and wanted to see what people thought. Your quote "please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money", seems to suggest that I am on benefits and don't pay taxes, was this what you assumed? if so why could I know why please. I am a tax payer to, not that there is anything wrong with people on benefits.

The council there don't sit behinhd glass screens either
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Every week there is a post about a crap private LL refus g to do essential work to their home despite paying a hefty monthly rent and would do anything to be housed in a council home knowing that the LL will have to carry out their statutory duties as a LL.

Then you get a council tenant moaning that their LL is trying to apply their statutory duites for the safety of the tenants but the tenant still complain because they don't want to be bothered and they shouldn't have to read their mail if they don't want to so it's all the council's fault for not taking yet more responsibility for them.

What has the world come to!
  • Craig1981
    Options
    so, the council dont advise you what would happen if the work doesnt get carried out, the work doesnt get carried out, and heaven forbid there is an electric fire your property for faulty wiring - i bet you would be going bananas about why your property is in disrepair etc etc etc

the council, like any responsible landlord, has a legal obligation to ensure the safety of their tenants as well as others. The letter states the facts, and WHAT COULD HAPPEN if there is no response to it.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The letters sent are a bit rude. I get them from a Housing Association who don't wait until an appointment has been missed but warn about taking to court and forcing entry in the first appointment letter, and in a very abrubt way. You have to assume that many people don't co-operate for them to behave like this. It's a shame that those of us who do read our letters and respond have to be spoken to in this way because others don't!
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    OP if you don't like the way your landlord treats you then you are free to look for another.
    I am sure you will be able to find a landlord who won't disturb you with requests for electrical checks.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you reread the first post, you will see I am not complaining about the rewire. Would rather not if I had the choice. When I phone I will be booking the inspection, and they can do what they need to do. Come here to post as I felt it was an unfair letter, and wanted to see what people thought. Your quote "please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money", seems to suggest that I am on benefits and don't pay taxes, was this what you assumed? if so why could I know why please. I am a tax payer to, not that there is anything wrong with people on benefits.

The council there don't sit behinhd glass screens either

So when I get my home re-wired you will be contributing towards it?

As a council tenant your rent is subsidised by the tax system meaning we all pay towards it and it's up keep (nothing wrong with that if you need help with housing) where as my home isn't paid for by the taxpayers, just the sweat of my own labour. This is what has irked every single poster on here about your situation, you are for all appearances being offered a free service (via a narkie letter) which we would all have to pay for ourselves which will benefit you and your property and you have thrown your toys out the pram.

Thus most of the posting has been gentle teasing in the hope you would have a lightbulb moment and say to yourself "I'm being a bit silly and overreacting" take a step back and a deep breath and crack on with the day like most rational people.

Re-wiring can be messy but better it be free messy than I'm paying for this mess out my own pocket- don't you think?
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you reread the first post....

Well, we can't, because you've deleted it!

Why behave in such an unproductive way? Someone is going out of their way to do you a service for free: you have made their work more difficult, and they have escalated the matter.

Apologise for not reading and responding to their first letter, get the work done, and sleep more soundly and safely as a result....
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    OP has now deleted their first post, thus showing they've had second thoughts over it.

I can't now judge if the letter was rude or not, but I suspect it was along the lines of setting out the maximum penalty for non-compliance, which is a fairly standard shorthand in any situation where there are penalties.

If the OP has been tardy in responding to letters before, maybe there's a red flag against their name and they get a more strongly-worded letter than others who generally cooperate. That's how I'd organise things if I was running council communications, but it would still not be 'personal' in the sense that they'd be lumped-in with, perhaps, hundreds of others and a computer would be doing the selection.

Occasionally, most of us receive treatment which seems unfair. The best thing to do is take it up with whoever's involved and point out why whatever it is, isn't right. Posting an internet site like this solves nothing, though it might test the water. That seems to have happened here and the OP knows now what the general consensus is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure