"Admin charge" for product return

Options
I purchased a Rangemaster sink from Trading Depot for £258.47 on July 13 2018, but when it was delivered, realised it was too large. I ordered a replacement and then emailed them to arrange the return of the original sink. Their response was that, as the product had been supplied directly by Rangemaster, their return policy applied which requires a 24% administration charge for any returns.The sink is still in its original packaging.
Can anyone tell me where I stand so far as Consumer Contracts Regulations are concerned?
I thought the right to return unwanted goods was pretty much unequivocal and that a deduction can only be made "if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary."

Comments

• SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Their returns policy isn't actually CCR compliant (it should be though):

Returns Policy - Changed your mind / Ordered in error

You may return your order within 14 working days from the day following delivery, subject to the following conditions and returns procedure:
    • You have obtained a returns number. The returns number must be clearly highlighted on the outside of the package in such a way that it does not damage the original retail packaging.
    • The goods must be returned to us in plain outer packaging, with no labels stuck on the manufacturers’ box.
    • When the goods are returned to our warehouse they will be inspected to ensure all parts are present and in a good condition.
    • After informing us within the 14 working day period, 'in line with Distance Selling Regulations' you then have a further 5 working days for the goods to be returned to us at Trading Depot.
    • We will then issue you a full refund for the good’s that have been returned.
    • If the goods have been dispatched to you and then you have ‘changed your mind' you are responsible for the cost of sending the items back to us.
    • For the purposes of this policy an error made when ordering on your behalf will be treated exactly as if you have ‘changed your mind'.
    • Any costs incurred to us for the refusal of a courier delivery will be deductable from your refund.

But, it may work for you anyway. Tell them you want to return under this policy as is stated on their website for a full refund. Remind them that under CCR you are entitled to a full refund (subject to the caveat you make in your post).

I assume you bought online and not in store?
  • werdenhoff
    Options
    Yes, I purchased online.
    At the bottom of the Returns Policy page, there is this lilne:
    Rangemaster
    - 25% Administration fee for returning an item (changed mind/ordered in error)
    Does this excuse them from CCR?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    werdenhoff wrote: »
    Yes, I purchased online.
    At the bottom of the Returns Policy page, there is this lilne:
    Rangemaster
    - 25% Administration fee for returning an item (changed mind/ordered in error)
    Does this excuse them from CCR?

Of course not, what use would consumer protection legislation be if retailers could override it with T&C's?

Have you actually raised this point with them, that they cannot charge a restocking/admin fee?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • werdenhoff
    Options
    I have just done so - will post their response.
    Thanks for your speedy help by the way :)
  • unholyangel
    Options
    werdenhoff wrote: »
    I have just done so - will post their response.
    Thanks for your speedy help by the way :)

Let us know how you get on and good luck!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Just a thought, do trading depot sell to consumers? Or is it business only? I haven!!!8217;t actually looked and maybe someone will know this instantly, but if the latter, perhaps the CCR won!!!8217;t apply
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • unholyangel
    Options
    Just a thought, do trading depot sell to consumers? Or is it business only? I haven!!!8217;t actually looked and maybe someone will know this instantly, but if the latter, perhaps the CCR won!!!8217;t apply

I checked, it is aimed at consumers and not trade. They even have the cheek to have this as the very first line of their T&C's:
    These terms and conditions apply to all orders placed through our website. They do not affect your statutory rights if you are a consumer.

When quite clearly they do affect your statutory rights.

They also reference the distance selling regulations which haven't been in force for over 4 years now. Restocking/admin fees weren't allowed under DSRs either - in fact, the retailer wasn't allowed to make any deduction from the refund even if you sent the item back completely wrecked (they could chase you for the value but the DSRs didn't actually allow them to make any deductions to account for it) .
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The OP hasnt mentioned it but I assume he is paying the return cost
  • Durbanitejoller
    Options
    My wife and I recently booked and paid for two Covid 19 PCR Tests with Wren Healthcare. The tests cost £170.00 each. We were due to fly out to South Africa in November 2020 to visit family. After much discussion with the family we have postponed our visit due to all the Covid 19 international travel red tape. I contacted Wren Healthcare the next day, cancelled our Covid 19 PCR tests and asked for a refund. They credited my bank account with only £290.00. I contacted them again asking why they kept £50.00. They said it was an administration fee for the refund. Is this legal even though it is written in their terms and conditions?
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    My wife and I recently booked and paid for two Covid 19 PCR Tests with Wren Healthcare. The tests cost £170.00 each. We were due to fly out to South Africa in November 2020 to visit family. After much discussion with the family we have postponed our visit due to all the Covid 19 international travel red tape. I contacted Wren Healthcare the next day, cancelled our Covid 19 PCR tests and asked for a refund. They credited my bank account with only £290.00. I contacted them again asking why they kept £50.00. They said it was an administration fee for the refund. Is this legal even though it is written in their terms and conditions?
    Website is clear, £25 admin charge for cancelled test.
    https://wrenhealthcare.co.uk/covid-19-pcr-testing/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure