I've been a victim of a Direct Debit Fraud - Barclay's will not refund me

Options
Hello
Four weeks ago I discovered that I had been the victim of a direct debit fraud placed on my account, named as PAYPAL INTER LTD.
I was shocked to discover that this had been on my account for 8 years and as I use Paypal extensively, these debits went unnoticed ( i use paypal now and transfer the money into my account and can take up to 500 payments in a weekend whilst at work).
These debits have totalled to nearly £25,000 and are not linked to Paypal in any way. I have been in contact with paypal to confirm this.
I have sent proof to Barclays showing my normal paypal transactions against the fake 'paypal' debits and they have refused my indemnity claim on the basis i have not provided proof. How I don't know... as i have done. Barclay's have also told me to track down the fraudsters and claim my money back from them... !!
Their attitude stinks. They are telling me to become a private detective to sort this out.
I have never authorised or signed any direct debit agreement with this so called company and yet Barclays refuse to investigate, though i have a crime number too.
Just where do i stand in trying to reclaim my money back?
In two days the thieves took over £2000 in six separate debits, and yet none of these were ever picked up by Barclays fraud systems.
I have contacted the ombudsman, but the way Barclay's treated me makes me furious that they are willing to allow fraud and not investigate and this situation is making me ill.
I would appreciate any help or guidance.

If this post is in the wrong area, admin please move to the relevant place where i can come back and check on any feedback.

Thank You

Comments

• Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It sounds to me that the payments perhaps weren't actually Direct Debits because if they were, the Direct Debit Guarantee would apply? Have Barclays explained to you why it doesn't apply?

As you have already been to the Police and have taken the matter to the Ombudsman, there's probably not much anyone else could suggest at this stage.
  • tempus31
    Options
    Hi
    They are direct debits and I cancelled it once i saw an amount leave my account.
    All that Barclay's have said is that they could not establish an error returning reason afforded by the direct debit scheme? It's an illegal debit on my account which i never set up or authorised.
    I've provided proof they are not my transactions - even after the debit was cancelled the thieves continued to try taking money from my account, which thankfully were halted.
    Going through my account now with a fine tooth comb, when I received my medical dismissal severance from my previous employer, they hit my account hard and took thousands out in a few days
    If the ombudsman comes back in Barclay's favour - where does that leave me?
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It took you 8 years to notice????
  • tempus31
    tempus31 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2017 at 7:01PM
    Options
    Sadly yes.
    I use paypal extensively around 50 times a day, so they set up a debit and called it paypal which blended in with the normal transactions....
    I also use paypal here whilst at work, I may take hundreds of transactions in a day, my monthly statements on the theft debits just says 'PAYPAL' NORMAL DEBIT, so it went unnoticed.
    It's only this past year they've raped my account heavily.
    Bottom line is it's happened and now need to try and fix whatever I can.
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Your last port of call is the Ombudsman Service. However be aware that it taking 8 years for you to spot these does work against you.

If FOS rule against you you can go to court, however courts are a lot less consumer friendly than FOS so your chances are much slimmer and will cost you money whether you win or lose.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • tempus31
    tempus31 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2017 at 7:15PM
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, these debits were initially something like 1 or 2 a month and lowish amounts, it's not as if high amounts were coming out to flag my spidey senses :(
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tempus31 wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, these debits were something like 1 or 2 a month and lowish amounts, it's not as if high amounts were coming out to flag my spidey senses :(

Simple maths means £250 per month and you didn't miss it for 8 years ?

Is this a business account or personal ?

What 'exactly' have Barclays said to you ?
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quote:

Company Overview
    PayPal (International), Ltd. provides online payments technology for customers buy and sell goods on the Internet. The company was founded in 2003 and is based in Dublin, Ireland. It has subsidiaries in Britain, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, China, and Canada. PayPal (International) Ltd. operates as a subsidiary of PayPal Holdings, Inc.

Appears to be the middleman company between customer and paypal through DD authorised when you give PP your bank details?

Would speak to PP again??
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be fair, I'm not sure how you expected Barclays fraud system to pick up the payments when you failed to do so yourself.

Do Barclays have a copy of the original direct debit set up?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tempus31
    Options
    This was my personal account.
    They hit my account for lots of small amounts over the years, and since March they've taken £10,000.
    I know people will say how did you not notice - I'm asking myself that question every day.

All i have from Barclay's

'We are unable to ascertain the exact nature of the errors that have occurred ( I was robbed luv) and without supporting documentation (which I've sent and highlighted for them) we are unable to establish a correct returning reason under the direct debit scheme. Under this scheme and related legal requirements we are not required to provide a refund. Contact the originators of the direct debit payments (so Barclay's confirm its a direct debit) in order to obtain refunds from them'

The previous letter was send us documentation which i did, and this was their reply. I provided the last 3 months of my legit paypal stuff which does not match any debit info.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure