Switching from SSE: should I give 28 days notice as a first step?

Options
Hi, I'm on SSE standard tariff for both gas and electricity and need to switch away as soon as possible. As they require 28 days notice to leave them, should I do this this right now and then look at alternative suppliers at my leisure? Or do things progress quicker if you take action when you know who you want to switch to?

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to sign up with someone else first, and then you have 14 days to change your mind.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-a-better-energy-deal/switching-energy-supplier/
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, I'm on SSE standard tariff for both gas and electricity and need to switch away as soon as possible. As they require 28 days notice to leave them, should I do this this right now and then look at alternative suppliers at my leisure?

You don't speak to SSE at all and you don't give anybody any notice, it doesn't work like that.

Jump on a comparison site and feed it your usage, it will then tell you which is the cheapest, you click the link, sign up with them, then after a cooling off period of 14 days, things get going. Three weeks or so later give the mew provider some meter readings, they get your account up and running and you enjoy cheaper energy and maybe a refund of some credit from SSE anywhere up to six weeks later if applicable.
  • Gerry1
    Options
    Remember to click the button that says 'show wider market' or suchlike because most comparison sites default to 'show companies that we can help you switch you to', i.e. the more expensive ones that pay the site a fee. It may well be hidden behind 'Filter results'.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2020 at 12:35AM
    Options
    Thanks.
    I have solar PV and the problem is that winter consumption is vastly different to late spring and summer. I'd like to compare tariffs by simply seeing the the standing charge and the unit rate. Last time I looked I couldn't find these on either of the websites of prospective suppliers. Has that situation being rectified?
  • Gerry1
    Options
    It's usually on the PCW, e.g. with Citizens Advice click on 'Next Steps' and then 'Tariff Information'.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    OK so if the tariff type is 'fixed' and the exit fee is £30, does that mean I can leave during the one-year term by paying the fee or am I locked in, and would the fee still be payable if I wanted to move to a different supplier?
  • Gerry1
    Options
    You can leave at any time, but if it's more than 49 days before it expires you'll have to pay the £30. Some suppliers don't charge if you switch to a different tariff of theirs. It'll be the in Ts & Cs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure