Redundant: what are my rights within the same company

Options
In November I was made redundant from my position

I was offered another job within the same company doing a different role

However I keep being asked to ‘ help’ do my old job

The reason for redundancy was a company re structure and apparently the team managers could take on the jobs and roles of those being made redundant

So my question is can they keep having those of us that stayed keep doing our old role to ‘help out’

Thank you in advance ☺️

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Your old post was made redundant. Did you leave the company and were re-employed or did they redeploy you in a new role? Do you have a job spec?

If a manager asks for assistance not sure it would be possible or wise to refuse.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Refer to your manager. If they say 'Yes' then yes.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Masomnia wrote: »
    Refer to your manager. If they say 'Yes' then yes.
    This.

Don't get a poor performance review in your new role because you're still spending time doing the old one.

Keep a log of the hours and let your new manager know. Let him/her fight the battle if they want to.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same happened to me many moons ago, my post was made redundant and I had to apply for another position which I got, but I was still expected to do the role that was redundant.

Within a year the role was reinstated at a higher pay scale

NHS and a time and motion study which didn't quite work out as planned :rotfl:

Unfortunately most contracts have "and any other duties" written into them. Doing a so called redundant job falls under that remit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure