Social housing and disability

Options
Hi my husband is finding it incredibly difficult to negotiate our house as his disability is getting worse. He asked the council to join the choice based letting scheme as we have a council house and he was awarded medium medical points.

Since then we have had an occupational therapist visit and grab rails fitted she said she is worried about his safety and said she will write a report for the council in the hope of gaining him some more housing points. Would these points be welfare points or medical points?

Our allocations policy says you can get points on medical and welfare grounds but I can’t find any literature on what welfare points actually are or when they are awarded.

Tia

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Different councils often have different policies so might be an idea to phone them next week and ask, like all social housing suitable homes are in short supply. have you tried housing associations as well as the council?
  • cornish_donkey
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    Different councils often have different policies so might be an idea to phone them next week and ask, like all social housing suitable homes are in short supply. have you tried housing associations as well as the council?

I think local housing associations are advertised on the choice based letting system too. I just phoned my council and they said things aren’t black and white and to send the OT report in to see what happens.
  • Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Housing association and council properties have for quiet a while now been advertised through the choice based letting system.

Good luck Cornish Donkey I hope it doesn’t take too long to get something more suitable
  • cornish_donkey
    Options
    Mrsn wrote: »
    Housing association and council properties have for quiet a while now been advertised through the choice based letting system.

Good luck Cornish Donkey I hope it doesn’t take too long to get something more suitable

Thank you Mrsn I appreciate that.
  • Mrs_Bridge
    Options
    Hi I was wondering if you have looked at homeswapper.co.uk, they have social housing properties available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure