Aer lingus price of call

Options
Hello all. Recently I was in florida on holiday when I had to leave during hurricane irma. I went north eventually having to drive to Washington dc for a flight home. During my journey I stopped at a Sheraton hotel in North carolina and using aer lingus' website I looked up their contact number to call them from the USA. There was no cost per minute attached to the number so I assumed that they would charge local rates given that they instruct you to call a USA number from the USA. I used the hotel phone to call them and was quite desperate for a flight home as I knew that I wasn't going to be able to go back to florida for a flight for at least a week which would have extended my holiday by about the same.

On check out I paid for my room asking for a receipt but didn't look at it until later and found that I was charged $184 for my phonecall. I was on hold for about an hour and a half and got speaking with aer lingus for about 5 minutes. I contacted the hotel who apologised and said they'd pay me back but have now withdrawn this and said they cannot as that was the price of the call.

Where do I stand here. I think it's crazy to expect me to pay $184 for a phonecall to them during an emergency situation. Their customer service is awful and they cannot deal with me over the phone it has to be via email which takes 30 working days to deal with my complaint.

I've put the complaint in and just wondering what people think my chances are of getting the $184 back

Thanks

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I've put the complaint in and just wondering what people think my chances are of getting the $184 back

I would think next to none, Aer Lingus are a nightmare to deal with even when the legislation says they have to pay up, so there's little chance of getting a goodwill payment out of them. I would expect that you'll never hear from them at all. I'll never fly with them again.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I would think next to none, Aer Lingus are a nightmare to deal with even when the legislation says they have to pay up, so there's little chance of getting a goodwill payment out of them. I would expect that you'll never hear from them at all. I'll never fly with them again.

Agreed.
    Aer Lingus are a dreadful airline and the main reason behind Ryanair's domination of the routes across the Irish sea.
    Aer Lingus became a low-cost airline without the customer service that Ryanair has and its staff have the same arrogance and poor standards that I find with BA.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have quickly looked on the Aer Lingus website and found both a 516 area code telephone number and under that a 1800 number. The latter is a toll free number although sometimes a charge made if made from a hotel.

Even the 516 area code should not cost too much to call. I suspect it is the fact that you called using the hotel phone. Typically US hotels will mention the cost of dialling from their hotel room phones.

Not a charge I see Aer Lingus liable for or refunding.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    I think your mistake is calling from the hotel.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Calling from a hotel room in the States is ridiculously expensive. I was charged $40 for an international call that probably lasted about 20 seconds years ago, since then I've never used a hotel phone.
  • Placitasgirl
    Options
    I agree, I'm sure that the cost that's been passed on to you via your hotel bill is the hotel's own calling charges and not those for calling Aer Lingus.

Hotels state the calling charges in the "information" folder in their rooms, but these are always absolutely astronomical. Unfortunately it seems you didn't check these before placing your call and I can't see any way you'd be due a refund or reduction in the charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure