PIP awarded - is payment backdated?

Options
Friend has just had her award letter giving her the enhanced rate of PIP in both components.

Previously she was receiving only DLA at the highest rate, no care component, as she had never applied for this.

Her award letter does not mention a backdated payment. It states that the PIP becomes payable a month from now, and will be actually paid in arrears on 1.12.16.

She made the claim 10.8.16. I know she won't get backdated mobility component as this replaces DLA HRM. But should she get the daily living component backdated to the date of claim?

Also, does this component now qualify her for Severe Disability Premium on her ESA?

Thanks

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Friend has just had her award letter giving her the enhanced rate of PIP in both components.

Previously she was receiving only DLA at the highest rate, no care component, as she had never applied for this.

Her award letter does not mention a backdated payment. It states that the PIP becomes payable a month from now, and will be actually paid in arrears on 1.12.16.

She made the claim 10.8.16. I know she won't get backdated mobility component as this replaces DLA HRM. But should she get the daily living component backdated to the date of claim?

Also, does this component now qualify her for Severe Disability Premium on her ESA?

Thanks

There is no backdating on transferring from DLA to PIP. In fact
    each new PIP award does not kick in until four weeks after the DLA payday following the date the decision was made on the PIP claim.

One of the little 'quirks ' of the system :(

As regards the SDP question we need more information.

In general:

SDP is only awarded on income based ESA (or if receiving contribution based ESA and satisfy the income based requirements)

SDP is awarded if you receive standard or enhanced rate of care for PIP (in her case) AND no one receives Carer's Allowance for her AND she is living alone or is treated as living alone.

So, what are her circumstances? What is she currently receiving - contribution based/income based? Has she a partner? Working? Any savings/capital?
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    No it won't be backdated as she was already in receipt of DLA.

Yes she may be eligible for SDP depending on circumstances.

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

Tom
  • Tommo1980
    Tommo1980 Posts: 406 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry about cross post ☺

Tom
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there still no backdating despite the fact that the new PIP claim includes an award for daily living component which was not previously payable?

Re the SDP - she does live alone, she is 57, gets income based ESA, been getting that for the last three years.

No savings, nobody claims carer's allowance. Unable to work.
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2016 at 6:15PM
    Options
    Is there still no backdating despite the fact that the new PIP claim includes an award for daily living component which was not previously payable?
    I'm afraid not. As pmlindyloo posted, the PIP award doesn't take effect until 4 weeks after DLA is last paid, which for people transferring from DLA is 4 weeks after the next DLA payday after the PIP decision.

It may seem harsh but for some people it does work to their advantage, if the amount of PIP is less than the amount of DLA currently being paid. Unfortunately it does work against some people, as in the case of your friend, where PIP is awarded at a higher rate and includes a daily living component where an equivalent (middle or higher rate care) wasn't in payment with DLA.
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,940 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Also in addition to being able to receive the SDP, once PIP is in payment your friend will also be able to get an additional premium with ESA, an enhanced disability premium, which is payable to people in receipt of the enhanced daily living component of PIP and who receive income-related ESA.

However if your friend is in the Support Group of ESA this should already be in payment though.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    be aware that the SDP isn't usually automatically [paid.
    it has to be claimed via form IS10
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Robbie64 wrote: »
    Also in addition to being able to receive the SDP, once PIP is in payment your friend will also be able to get an additional premium with ESA, an enhanced disability premium, which is payable to people in receipt of the enhanced daily living component of PIP and who receive income-related ESA.

However if your friend is in the Support Group of ESA this should already be in payment though.

She does already get the support group payment of £141 a week, which includes disability premium but not the severe disability premium, as she has only just been deemed eligible for PIP at the enhanced rate for both components.

Will she need to tell the authorities that she is now getting the PIP at enhanced rates?

And will the disability premium stop, and be replaced by the severe disability premium?
  • megansden
    Options
    Hi!

Please help with this one

Leading up to my 65 birthday I was on Full DLA, then invited to claim PIP and lost the Motorbility part of it by then I was 65 I am 67 now and have had another face to face with with health expert and also have been diagnosed with a health condition that I was born with which is causing serious problems with mobility etc although been awarded enhanced rate for care they will not award enhanced on mobility even though they acknowledge that mobility needs are there.
    They say that the law states that the enhanced rate for mobility needs cannot be awarded after the age 65, my argument is that the problem I have has always been there there should be awarded

Has anyone got any opinions please and is there any point in appealing on there decision
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    She does already get the support group payment of £141 a week, which includes disability premium but not the severe disability premium, as she has only just been deemed eligible for PIP at the enhanced rate for both components.

Will she need to tell the authorities that she is now getting the PIP at enhanced rates?

And will the disability premium stop, and be replaced by the severe disability premium?

there is no disability premium with ESA, as it is already covered by the higher benefit amount.

the premium you refer to for her being in the support group is the Enhanced Disability Premium.

if she qualifies for the Severe Disability Premium, she will receive both the SDP and the EDP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure