One Shot

Options
61IIncmfHTL._SX522_.jpg

Has anyone used it? I'm confident that being 91% sulphuric acid it will dissolve anything stuck in my sewage pipe...but am very wary of causing other problems in the process, ie dissolving the pipe work. Although by the time I put it down the toilet, it will have been diluted somewhat.

Is it a MSE solution or give me a non-MSE headache? Sorry to be so thick.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From my vaguely rememebed school Chemistry - it was 30 years ago - H2SO4 will attack many metals, exactly how depends on the concentration, and some organic compounds. You wouldn't want it near a stainless sink, or your skin.

Also, 91% is about 16-17 molar, which is evil. If the bog is blocked and you pour it in the toilet pan, you're going to end up with some still very strong acid in your toilet and when you give up trying to DIY and call dynorod or equivalent the bloke won't thank you.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Screwfix drain unblocking device £22.99 & hours of fun.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    very strong acid in your toilet and when you give up trying to DIY and call dynorod or equivalent the bloke won't thank you.

... and neither will the porcelain glaze.

This stuff is not nice and of varying (in)effectiveness. You are right that it gets diluted - often well before it meets the whatever blockage. Well before, as the drain is... blocked!

Drain rods or Essex's drain worm. Mind you, since it's endless fun for him, why doesn't he pop round and give you a "hand"?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I'll call a plumber out

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 424 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a rather long kitchen drain (4 meter underground) for which I used this from time to time to unclog. I just pour half of a bottle in. Wait for 15 mins and then flush a few times. It seems to be effective and no damage (yet).
  • Pa_Ja
    Pa_Ja Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I bought this after reading the amazon reviews.
    Its very good at unblocking pipes. If you're scared that it will erode then you could do it in small volumes.. Follow the instructions and you'll be fine.
    I actually used it in the garden also to get rid of a weed!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It's for drains, do not pour that stuff down a toilet.

It's a hit or miss, I have used it on drains before but it's never cleared them. I suppose it all depends what's blocked the drain.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Thanks all. I think I'll call a plumber out
    Good plan. I'm all for DIY and not at all "health and safety" conscious, but no way would I put conc suphuric acid down my bog :eek:
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Perhaps it's time for me to elaborate a little more about my, ahem, problem.

I moved into my home 3 months ago, and noticed the problem in the first week, after I made the mistake of flushing a tampon down. Well I haven't repeated that, but I have had to unblock the toilet every week since then because the water level rises almost to the top. Thankfully it's clean water and not sewage, but it's making me think there is something physical obstructing the exit pipe. Whatever it is is physically dislodged temporarily with one of these, which is possibly the best money I've spent!

P-3-3.JPG

I live in dread of the day my bathroom is flooded with sewage, so something needs to be done quite soon. Does anyone know whether the blockage is likely to be the U-bend or beyond? Where would a plumber start?

• Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    Plumber would start at the manhole and work back to the problem area - if you can see a problem at the manhole backing up then rod the drains.

Is this an upstairs loo? If so the blockage will most likely be very close to the toilet if it constantly backs up on flushing. (if the manhole is clear)

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills