Accident claim on hit/run car shunt

Options
Hi all - any advice would be much appreciated.

Last Monday evening, whilst sitting stationery in my car on a busy road waiting for the vehicle in front to turn into a side road, a car behind ploughed into me without braking or stopping at the scene.

Due to my initial injuries and shock caused by the collision I was a little dazed afterwards and sadly only managed to get the first part of the reg plate and colour of the car before they drove away. Two people from a nearby house came to my aid but they too didn’t get the exact details from the vehicle. I’ve looked at the council website and there is no CCTV at that part of the road.

I reported the crime to the police that night and visited the hospital the next morning, by which time I realised I had severely pulled muscles in my neck and back and couldn’t move my head left/right. I then had to stay off work for three days due to the pain and I’m still not right.

I phoned my insurer who recorded it as a no fault incident and has since arranged a hire car/collected my car for possible repairs. I’m not sure whether it’s a write-off yet but I’m looking at £500 excess for any repairs if they go ahead (bumper + boot).

As the driver didn’t stop and there is little chance of tracing them, is it worth trying to claim for any sort of accident compensation through a solicitor/claim company?

I know many of them are “no win no fee” but I’m just worried about “other” fees I may have to pay if it’s not straight forward etc. For info my motor insurance policy includes Legal Cover.

I must admit I would be grateful of getting the £500 back as its money I don’t have, but I’m also concerned about my health and any sort of physio would be welcomed, I’ve also been so anxious since it happened.

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No CCTV on that bit of the road, but was there any further along in the direction the errant vehicle travelled?

Is there a shop or premises further along which has CCTV pointed at, or capturing part of the road?

If so then could be worth asking the owners if their systems captured a front-end damaged vehicle around the date/time of your incident.

You never know you could come up trumps.

Try pointing out the above to the police, they have more clout than you and also point out that the other party commited at least one offence by failing to stop following an accident which caused injury.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you got a significant personal injury?

If not they won't assist you.
  • BMrsP
    Options
    I’ve got whiplash injuries/back pain which is evidence by a visit to the hospital.
  • BMrsP
    Options
    Thank you.

There is a petrol station/fast food restaurant down the road so I can check there.

The police recognised/noted I had injuries and the person has left the scene of an accident so will see what comes up etc. Thank you.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BMrsP wrote: »
    I phoned my insurer who recorded it as a no fault incident and has since arranged a hire car/collected my car for possible repairs. I’m not sure whether it’s a write-off yet but I’m looking at £500 excess for any repairs if they go ahead (bumper + boot).
    Unless your insurer have a policy clause that promises they won't treat it as "at fault", it's going on your record, because they're paying.

Even if your insurer do, you may find other insurers less charitable at renewal time.

As the driver didn’t stop and there is little chance of tracing them, is it worth trying to claim for any sort of accident compensation through a solicitor/claim company?
    But who are you claiming from?

Your insurer may provide a small payment for your minor injuries as part of your claim, but that's about it.

No NWNF or "claim management" outfit will go near it, because there's no realistic prospect of anybody paying out.

I must admit I would be grateful of getting the £500 back as its money
    Unless you can find this other driver, and they agree they were involved and to blame, then that's simply not happening...
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I’ve got whiplash injuries/back pain which is evidence by a visit to the hospital.

I think it's classed as so many nights in hospital or at least three out patient appointments for the MIB.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you.

There is a petrol station/fast food restaurant down the road so I can check there.

The police recognised/noted I had injuries and the person has left the scene of an accident so will see what comes up etc. Thank you.

I'd be surprised if the police even look at this before the cctv is over written.
  • BMrsP
    Options
    Ok, thanks.

I totally get what you’re saying and believe me am fully aware that’ll I’ll be suffering the consequences of this awful crime with my future insurance premiums. I just wanted to see what people thought.

I’ve been reading that the Motor Insurers Bureau through the government website can look into claims when things like this happen maybe I can make some enquiries there.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another thought - are there any CCTV cameras on the bit of raod leading up to the incident?

If so then, as you have colour and partial reg of the vehicle involved you may be able to pick it out from those images if available.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    By "first half of plate", I take it we're meaning the local two letters and the year numbers of a post-2001 plate?

If it's a "localish" plate, then that's going to be a very common combo.

"Mx63" on a silver car in the Manchester/Merseyside area, say...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure