Soy Candle Making

Options
Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with making Soy Wax Candles - I've made a couple of prototypes, with lavender scent which have turned out nicely. I've also made a few tealights. I came to the conclusion that since I loved buying candles it might work out cheaper to make my own, which so far I've been right about.

However, I've been thinking about turning it into more than just a hobby. Apart from the business legalities (e.g. tax etc) - is there anything else to be aware of? Obviously, if I do craft stalls I'm aware I need public/product liability insurance, but is there any other issues with selling candles? I have the relevant warning stickers of how to burn them/trim wicks etc.

I'm not 100% on whether to pursue this yet.... Between full time work, part time uni and some particular health issues, I might just keep it to a hobby until uni has finished (and the health issues have an answer!), but I just want to make sure if I do end up pursuing this, I'm on the right side of the law!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    daisy_jean wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with making Soy Wax Candles - I've made a couple of prototypes, with lavender scent which have turned out nicely. I've also made a few tealights. I came to the conclusion that since I loved buying candles it might work out cheaper to make my own, which so far I've been right about.

However, I've been thinking about turning it into more than just a hobby. Apart from the business legalities (e.g. tax etc) - is there anything else to be aware of? Obviously, if I do craft stalls I'm aware I need public/product liability insurance, but is there any other issues with selling candles? I have the relevant warning stickers of how to burn them/trim wicks etc.

I'm not 100% on whether to pursue this yet.... Between full time work, part time uni and some particular health issues, I might just keep it to a hobby until uni has finished (and the health issues have an answer!), but I just want to make sure if I do end up pursuing this, I'm on the right side of the law!

Thanks in advance!
    Legalities wise it's not nearly as challenging or expensive as soap making (which I do as my business)

As with all businesses, there's competition to contend with and make sure you work out coatings - outlay etc for equipment and price accordingly. Business basics really.

Buying any tins\jars from specific candle making sites who also have insurance to cover what they're selling as for for intended purpose is one to watch for, you might need to do this in order to meet your own insurers requirements.

Good luck with it though :A
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills