RPI to CPI Early Day Motion 1032

Options
Ripoff_2
Ripoff_2 Posts: 352 Forumite
All, Regarding the Government changing indexing for pensions from RPI to the lesser CPI, you all may like to know that there is an Early Day Motion 1032 (EDM) in the house of commons to delay implimentation of this change until a full assessment has been made of the impact. There is also now a new EDM 1625 that requires your further support and for you all to ask your MP's to sign both EDM's

Wording of EDM 1032 and EDM 1625 is given at the bottom of this post

:jWhat you need to do is to get your MP to sign the motions. Ask them politely to to sign them.

So email them or send them a letter NOW!

If you do not know their details you can find it from here.
parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/

The more people, in the public sector and private pensioners that get their MP's to sign EDM 1032 and 1625 the better, so tell your friends and family. If the Government get away with this change without making CPI fit for purpose before the change, then pensioners will lose thousands of pounds.

Regards
:beer:
EDM 1032 Full Wording
That this House notes the Government's proposal to use the Consumer Price Index (CPI) rather than the Retail Price Index (RPI) for the price indexation of benefits, tax credits and public service pensions; further notes that the CPI is consistently lower than the RPI; expresses concern over the impact that this will have on the incomes of pensioners and other vulnerable groups; recognises the concerns held by the Royal Statistical Society and the UK Statistics Authority that CPI excludes many housing costs which are borne by the majority of pensioner households; and calls on the Government to take these concerns into account and postpone the change from RPI to CPI until the appropriateness of CPI as a measure of price increases borne by pensioner households can be fully evaluated.

EDM 1625 wording
That an humble Address be presented to Her Majesty, praying that thePensions Increase (Review) Order 2011(S.I., 2011, No. 827), dated 16 March 2011, a copy of which was laid before this House on17 March, be annulled.

Comments

• Goldwing1
    Options
    Done.

Thanks.
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    Very little point. Early day motions are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Indexiation is changing to CPI whether we like it or not.
  • Goldwing1
    Options
    Very little point. Early day motions are about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

It's a certainty unless we try.
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Goldwing1 wrote: »
    It's a certainty unless we try.
    And it's a certainty even if you try!
  • Ripoff_2
    Options
    NAR wrote: »
    And it's a certainty even if you try!
    Sorry but you are missing the point, by highlighting this to MP's and overloading their intrays then it sure will focus their minds. This is an issue that is NOT going away because it will affect our lives forever, we all need to fight this anyway we can.

:mad: The Government is wrong in doing this and they know it.

This issue needs to stay at the top of the political agenda unless you like being robbed, cheated and betrayed?

When the Tory Government of Margaret Thatcher GOT IT WRONG over poll tax, there were riots on the streets and when the same Government removed the link between wages and pensions their was pensioner poverty, DOING NOTHING IS NOT AN OPTION.

We need to fight this and we need peaceful positive action.
  • Ripoff_2
    Options

Sorry but you are missing the point, by highlighting this to MP's and overloading their intrays then it sure will focus their minds. This is an issue that is NOT going away because it will affect our lives forever, we all need to fight this anyway we can.

This issue needs to stay at the top of the political agenda unless you like being robbed, cheated and betrayed?

When the Tory Government of Margaret Thatcher GOT IT WRONG over poll tax, there were riots on the streets and when the same Government removed the link between wages and pensions their was pensioner poverty, DOING NOTHING IS NOT AN OPTION.

We need to fight this and we need peaceful positive action.
  • Old_Slaphead
    Old_Slaphead Posts: 2,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 November 2010 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Ripoff wrote: »

I will be asking my MP not to sign it thereby acting in the best interests of ALL his constitiuents rather than a select few, mainly public servants, who already benefit from excessively generous pension arrangements.

Nb Were you also as angry when Gordon Brown made his unilateral pillaging of private DC schemes to support his public spending aspirations? Were you also protesting when the Government introduced QE thereby decimating annuity rates for those who'd managed to scrape together their own meagre pension pots?
  • Ripoff_2
    Options
    I will be asking my MP not to sign it thereby acting in the best interests of ALL his constitiuents rather than a select few, mainly public servants, who already benefit from excessively generous pension arrangements.

Nb Were you also as angry when Gordon Brown made his unilateral pillaging of private DC schemes to support his public spending aspirations?
    This is not a party political issue, this is about Right and Wrong.

It is about ALL constituents because if CPI is used for indexing of pensions Private, Public and State, it will also be used for Wage negociations in the future. CPI is NOT the true UK domestic inflation rate, if it is used as it is then people will get poorer and poorer over time. The Government is well aware that CPI does not cover housing costs and certain taxes and it is also well aware that people do not fully understand the implications of using CPI. 60% of people don't understand the difference between RPI and CPI, and yes I was angry with GB, that was also wrong.
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    Ripoff wrote: »

How do you define "wrong"? They desperately need to curb the incredible degree of 'living beyond our means' in public spending. Hence a large array of cost cutting measures, of which this is clearly one.

I don't welcome it one iota. Yes they 'know' it's hard. But they are going to do it.

Put on an 'opposition hat'. In the 'house', they would be forced to recommend where else an equivalent amount of money could be saved. Do you have any ideas? Let's try delaying state pension by another 3 years? How about increasing basic rate tax to 25%? Or maybe abolish ISA's and tax rebates on pension contributions? Abolish Child Benefit and Tax credits for everyone? [Please don't try the 'tax the bankers' bonuses - it would produce far too little.]
  • Ripoff_2
    Ripoff_2 Posts: 352 Forumite
    Options
    How do you define "wrong"? They desperately need to curb the incredible degree of 'living beyond our means' in public spending. Hence a large array of cost cutting measures, of which this is clearly one.

I don't welcome it one iota. Yes they 'know' it's hard. But they are going to do it.

Put on an 'opposition hat'. In the 'house', they would be forced to recommend where else an equivalent amount of money could be saved. Do you have any ideas? Let's try delaying state pension by another 3 years? How about increasing basic rate tax to 25%? Or maybe abolish ISA's and tax rebates on pension contributions? Abolish Child Benefit and Tax credits for everyone? [Please don't try the 'tax the bankers' bonuses - it would produce far too little.]
    This change does not only affect Public and State pensions but private pensions as well and the Government does not save a penny there, that has nothing to do with reducing the deficit. I will try and answer your question though.

It's wrong because this change is not just until the deficit is cleared it is perminent, or until another Government changes it at a whim. It's wrong because the CPI measure does not measure the true domestic inflation rate, it was never designed to, it's wrong because it is taking from the least that can afford it, it's wrong because pensioner inflation is higher than RPI anyway, and CPI will make matters much worse and it's wrong because private pensioners had terms and conditions that are not being honored, it's wrong because it sends the wrong message to our young people, why should they save for pensions when Governments can change the terms at will, it's wrong because it adversly affects people who planned for their future and will have their pensions reduced by up to 25% over time and it's wrong because there was no consultation done on this change, it's wrong because the professionals are also saying it is wrong and it's wrong because the Government has not done a full impact analysis. These are just a few reasons.

If CPI were the true UK domestic inflation rate and did give the true pensioner inflation then I don't have an issue, but please don't tell me that it's OK to do the wrong thing because we have a deficit and then carry on doing the wrong thing forever. If the Government needs to raise money, then yes put up income tax and no the pension age increase is also wrong because like CPI that is forever.

I am sorry if you don't fully agree with me on this issue but these changes are not a short term measure, if they were I may be able to live with them. Both are basically for life and it means that long after the deficit is cleared many many poeple will still be paying a high price for these changes. The Government has never said this change is for a short period, there is no guarantee that CPI will ever represent the true uk domestic inflation rate and hence this is why this change is so wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure