PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

nearly summer hols how to have an os school hols

Options

Comments

• aberdeen
    aberdeen Posts: 263 Forumite
    Options
    not sure if these books are nationwide but these are a life safer in the school holidays.
    the books are full of bogofs for activities, restaurants, ice skating, swimming all sorts
    free coffees, free days at the gym
    you pay £22 in sept/oct and they last a year well worth it even if you are visiting that area for a holiday

https://www.spree.co.uk
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I try and do mainly free stuff with my 3 who ar 14, 12 and 9. We go to the park with a picnic quite often and take scooters, roller blades etc. The beach is good as it only costs petrol money (I am lucky to be near so many) and we always take our own lunch and drinks. Even the 14 year old enjoys poking around in rock pools, etc.

Other than that we go up onto Plymouth Hoe and have a picnic on the grass there overlooking the sea and then walk down to the Barbican and look at the fishing boats. This is great as it doesn't cost a penny.

We do maybe 2 trips that cost money during the whole holiday such as Paignton Zoo or a theme park (we are spoilt for choice here).

The museum does free activities and workshops which may be a bit young for my older 2 kids but would be good for primary age children. The library does storytime too for younger children, and when they were younger I would just walk up to the library with them and borrow a pile of books which at least got us out of the house and gave them a bit of entertainment at home.

Getting yourself invited to friends houses is quite good especially if they have a big garden but you must return the favour, obviously. The local swimming pool is also quite reasonable and wears them out nicely, very good for a rainy day. I love the summer holidays as I get to spend some quality time with the kids, I just hope the rain stops!
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    Queenie wrote: »
    Just looking up Quackers Maize Maze (thanks for that!). The nearest one to us is still quite a journey, but it'll be good to have a drive out for the day.

Do a google search Queenie just in case you can find one nearer to home.

The one we go to isn't listed on the link I provided - I just used that as an example as its a big company who do lots nationwide. There are lots of farms who do these independantly now and they are cheaper too :)
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Will do Quackers :D

Got my English Heritage membership renewal cards through so I need to see which events are running where this summer - that'll be more free days out :D :T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • debtfreenewbie
    Options
    While my dd was at playschool I discovered gloop.One packet of cornflour mixed with a little water on a large try.
    Easy to play with and when it dries goes into powder so little mess.

HAVE FUN.
  • casperella
    Options
    I used to save ice cream boxes and we used to go collecting blackberries at the end of August. The incentive at the end of the day was a grand weigh in which always made sure that the kids picked as many as they could! I made a flask of home made soup and microwaved large baking potatoes and wrapped them in foil. I took a pot of grated cheese and another of butter and we used to find a place and have a hot picnic .
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chruchmouse, unfortunately I can't do the suprise thing, my oldest has Autism and doesn't react to suprises well, we've had situations before when we've suprised him going to one of his fave places but when we have got there he's refused to get out of the car. On the other hand what I have done is hidden the middle seat belt in the cars and said it's broken, therefore if we go anywhere which is usually by car as public transport up here is so expensive, noone can 'tag along'.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Discodee
    Discodee Posts: 2,062 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the hols and we have lots of fun for free and always have!

Mine are 12 and 8, and if I gave you a run down of their daily eating plan you would all faint! It is enormous BUT healthy. They eat platefuls of fruit and veg! Brown bread, rice and pasta. Drink water etc etc. I find I dont spend any more on food in the hols, as I always buy my own sweets/ice creams etc anyway, because I buy ones that are free from artificial additives. I cannot guarantee to find them while out so always go prepared. If anyone can find any ice pops free from artificial aditives please tell me, as I have never found one single pack that doesnt either contain artificial colour or sweetener. Plenty of ice lollies though. Even tesco value ones are ok.

We are lucky here as our libraries have craft and fun sessions almost every day, badge making, nask making, pirate days, face painting, magbet making etc etc. Our libraries also do a readinf ascheme. The kids join and get a card, and for each book they read they get a sheet of stickers which they can stick on thecard and it moves them further along the reading path. When they have read 6 books they receive a medal and certificate.
    I will incorporate a visit to a session with a picnic in a nearby park, a nature walk through the woods or a visit to pals.
    We go for walks, cycle rides, to feed the ducks, swimming. (Our pools do free swimming for kids during holidays) I think kids love picnics and the simple things in life. Check out your libraries for activities. Our local free rag has a pullout listing them all
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
  • 60north
    60north Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    :o Drinks are big cost ....... more fun if you get boys on side to help budget

try

allways having big container of water (mix up juices) in the car to drink before going into anywhere - get children to have long drinks etc before getting out of car. Explain that with money saved you can have a blowout with a milshake (or whatever) treat once a week (or what suits your family).

also try
    do you have a snack cupboard/box? if you do (and might be best to have 2 boxes in this case!) work with boys on what you will spend on snacks for the week fill up the box and thats it - finished - don't have another supply elsewhere (we're all on diets right!!) don't give in etc .... they'll soon learn to 'budget' their snacks....We wen't one step further and told the children they could choose their own snacks with the money allowed or they could have the cash....(snack box for them was crisps/sweets/sweet biscuits)...after a while they chose cash ! mean't cereal/toast/fruit wen't a bit quicker! but they knew the rule and never asked for a top up of the more unhealthy stuff.

happy holidays
  • badmuthar
    badmuthar Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah hols approaching with no money to spare so will try things like going to the park etc.
    I have found the best investment of the year so far is an allottment which is £28 per year and keeps the kids busy with the watering cans.
    DFW nerd club #591
    Proud to be dealing with my debt.

Sunday to Friday challenge £5 so far £3.48

Olympic challenge target £1000 so far £45-07:shocked:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business