PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tinned
    veg
    fruit,
    Fish,tuna, sardines,pilchards, salmon
    Meat, corned beef, stewing steak, bockwurst
    crackers or crispbread
    UHT.. powdered milk
    oats
    lentils
    soup
    coffee
    tea
    sugar

windup radio and torch
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How many are you stockpiling of each? I've bought 5 packs of pasta but how many is enough?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I went to Costco for olive oil and the big bottles are £25 when it used to be £15, so I just got vegetable oil instead.
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Prices are def increasing but who knows exactly why. Muller corners use to be on offer 10 for £3 where as now it's 10 for £4. Like some others have said we will just have to change what we eat. I can't afford to buy those yoghurts and only bought them as a treat on offer which I won't be doing at that price as I can't afford too.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think amount is down to what makes you feel you've got enough for your needs and what you've physically got room to store.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    vinegar
    so I can pickle veg etc to extend life if we get too much oh and for chips :D
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oh yes chips!!!!!
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi guys
    I think what’s showing up on the news about crops not growing properly because of the heat is more about weather changes and that the farmers will have to eventually change/move the timing of their crops if this is a regular event.
    In the past farmers have been paid a subsidy by the EU to leave land fallow (don’t know if they still do) but after Brexit will need to put them back into production.
    We may have to make do at times with tins and frozen if there’s been a bad harvest of something but that’s not the end of the world. We won’t starve.
    I’ve just started work in a pie shop and it fascinates me how grumpy some people get it we haven’t got their choice ready. There are at least a dozen other choices so they aren’t going to starve. Strange.
    I’m moving on with my prepping to tins now cos the freezer just needs topping up occasionally and over the counter meds that we use and shampoo, soap etc. That way if we do get price hikes I can hold out for offers.
    Anybody that isn’t happy with some of the posts on here just scroll past and ignore them, but please try to keep to prepping if possible.
    Thanks
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll be doing what I usually do in Autumn but starting a bit earlier. I like to have enough dry goods so I don't have to go out to get more for up to three weeks. If there's bad weather forecast I stock up the freezer at that point with extra milk and some mince and chicken, frozen peas and spinach, so applying that to Brexit, I'll freeze stuff in the last week of March to give things a chance to sort themselves out before I need to do more shopping.

That would cover the what's enough aspect but I'll probably do a bit more stockpiling in the near future in case prices rise come this autumn because of harvests being reduced
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    debtaghh wrote: »
    Prices are def increasing but who knows exactly why. Muller corners use to be on offer 10 for £3 where as now it's 10 for £4. Like some others have said we will just have to change what we eat. I can't afford to buy those yoghurts and only bought them as a treat on offer which I won't be doing at that price as I can't afford too.

I make my own version ...... natural greek yogurt and fruit, sometimes fresh, sometimes frozen. Sometimes raw, sometimes stewed. I just use what I have,

I am actually thinking of trying to make my own yoghurt. Would make it even cheaper.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback