Am I asking too much of my GP?

Options

Comments

• GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't just go about getting blood tests at random for the sake of it! Infection control would have a kitten for a start and with constantly sticking your veins you'll end up with rubbish veins if you ever do need them for something serious. Blood tests should either be done when the patient has presented with a range of symptoms and the doctor is confirming diagnosis or if the patient is on certain drugs and the patients bloods need monitored.

As someone with crap veins thanks to cardiology constantly poking at them believe me it's not fun when you're admitted and it takes vascular access 8 goes to cannulate your feet/neck because there's no access in your arms any more. Unnecessary blood tests "just to reassure" are costly and can jepordise the patient in the long term.

If you need a hormone check go to your doctor and say "I'm having X, Y and Z symptom and previously had low A, can you arrange a blood test", if you're asymptomatic and just want a test because you used to get one then put it out of your mind. I used to have my ESR checked weekly, no ones checked it in over a year, it doesn't need checked.
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    To be honest, why have you not been to the endocrine clinic? I echo the above, just change GP.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cyclizine wrote: »
    To be honest, why have you not been to the endocrine clinic? I echo the above, just change GP.

That could of been what the out of hours one mentioned, some tounge twisting word I forgot as he kept talking about how hairy I was and how he didn't think it was normal. (and I mentioned how a few years back I had testosterone problems)
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your GP might be thinking you're a hypochondriac, or suffer from health anxieties. Sadly, GPs see a lot of those patients, especially around the age of 40/50 and that makes them less likely to consider things seriously.

One way to approach it is to say that you appreciate them thinking that you don't need a blood test, but having one done and reading that everything is normal would help you move on and focus on what you can do to help yourself be healthier. They rarely can say no when said like that!
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    diagnosed the skin cancer,(benign)

If the mole was benign, are you sure you were diagnosed with skin cancer?

I had a benign mole removed years ago and remember the worry before it was removed and analysed but I didn't have skin cancer.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »

I had a benign mole removed years ago and remember the worry before it was removed and analysed but I didn't have skin cancer.

I know what you mean. I had several moles off around 30 years ago. One got lost on the way to the pathologist. Never did find out what happened to it. Haven't lost any sleep over it and so far haven't had a cancer diagnosis.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Your GP might be thinking you're a hypochondriac, or suffer from health anxieties. Sadly, GPs see a lot of those patients, especially around the age of 40/50 and that makes them less likely to consider things seriously.

One way to approach it is to say that you appreciate them thinking that you don't need a blood test, but having one done and reading that everything is normal would help you move on and focus on what you can do to help yourself be healthier. They rarely can say no when said like that!

They'd probably (hopefully) tell him he should go private if he wants unnecessary tests. That's not what the NHS does.
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    That could of been what the out of hours one mentioned, some tounge twisting word I forgot as he kept talking about how hairy I was and how he didn't think it was normal. (and I mentioned how a few years back I had testosterone problems)

I think I can guess what that toungue twister was but no medical advice allowed here. :-)
    My GP thinks I'm a hypchonriac as well! I did have a serious illness 2 years ago and it was so enjoyable that I think I'm getting a touch of Munchausens. Also there's a lot of things that haven't been quite right since then either and though I know none of them are anything serious they do impact on my life.
    I live in the middle of nowhere unfortuatley though and my next nearest GP would be difficult to get to so I am stuck a bit.
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    I've never had a GP who gave regular blood tests. I've only had blood tests when the GP thought there was a specific need for them.

However, I do think our GPs look for the easy answer first on a lot of issues. They're probably right in the main, but I wouldn't want to be one of the patients for whom they were wrong.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    halogen wrote: »
    I think I can guess what that toungue twister was but no medical advice allowed here. :-)
    My GP thinks I'm a hypchonriac as well! I did have a serious illness 2 years ago and it was so enjoyable that I think I'm getting a touch of Munchausens. Also there's a lot of things that haven't been quite right since then either and though I know none of them are anything serious they do impact on my life.
    I live in the middle of nowhere unfortuatley though and my next nearest GP would be difficult to get to so I am stuck a bit.

The annoying thing there is I didn't go to a GP for over 2 years, and before that went about twice in one year and twice in year before that.

Just since I moved to current town I have allergies flare up, that and I decided enough was enough and to ask for support like counselling so not sure if on top the reason I feel physically weaker is age or anything as diet, lifestyle etc has improved since student days.

They'd probably (hopefully) tell him he should go private if he wants unnecessary tests. That's not what the NHS does.

Calling it uncessesary is a difficult one not sure if its due to my medical history but I had hormonal problems as well and at one point had blood tests at the hospital which said I had a issue with development of hormones and prescibed testosterone which I believe is the main reason I was getting regular blood tests, then when I got the mole the doctor was worried and saw that as a worry something worse was up, when I was getting regular tests they did come back with various things like hormonal imbalances especially in winter months, I then moved and shortly after got my op but new doctor made me go cold turkey on the hormones, anti depressants, and just told me it was all because of time of year, and lack of activity.

So various things but the newer doctor just kept saying nothing wrong didn't even give me a check up often, everytime I have been ill in last few years I have only been given treatment after I had issues for weeks if not over a month.

So given medical history, id say its both necessary and uncesssary

And so as well basically conflicting advice, even within the same surgery.

pipkin71 wrote: »

They told me both, but also that the odds of me getting more and eventually more serious are high, in fact got another on my chest at moment, the big black rock solid types.

Needed a 2 hour op to remove first one and was told I should get help with that, my father has actual skin cancer and his started from the same so it does run in the family too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure