Am I asking too much of my GP?

Options
124»

Comments

• Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just change GP surgery! You don't have to give a reason. But be prepared for them to give the same advice.
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Patients with a mental health history are four times more likely to have their physical healthcare neglected until it becomes an emergency.

I absolutely agree with this. The last time I tried to speak to my previous GP about some symptoms (which were nothing like I'd had with depression/anxiety), they got as far as listening to one symptom, did 1 test which was fine then said it must be depression.

Cue me going on a different antidepressant to previously, which gave me D&V which I tried to struggle through as I know you can side effects to start with but after 3 weeks I said no more - finally spoke to the mental health nurse who was great and basically said 'do you think you are depressed?' and I went NO!

Have now moved house, registered at new GP but they don't have my notes through yet. Told the doctor there all my symptoms, I'm getting a blood test next week and urgently referred for a scan at the hospital as she thinks it's an overactive thyroid.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    They told me both, but also that the odds of me getting more and eventually more serious are high, in fact got another on my chest at moment, the big black rock solid types.

Needed a 2 hour op to remove first one and was told I should get help with that, my father has actual skin cancer and his started from the same so it does run in the family too.

Benign moles are non-cancerous so you can't have both. You may have an increased risk of developing skin cancer, given your family history, or the type of mole you had removed but the fact that the mole was benign means you didn't have skin cancer.

Given the higher chance of having skin cancer though, have you been referred back to the hospital with regards the mole on your chest?
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I decided to change anyway in the end, fingers crossed it goes well as the new sign up appointment was packed with kids running about even throwing toys at wall, they got there 20 minutes early and was seen 20 minutes late and sign up saying any letters from doctor such as for benefit applications carry a £30 charge, then receptionist told me its 2-3 week wait all year round for appointments!

My old one was a week at busy times and 2-4 days rest of times, and no charge for letters!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure