Leaving Tonic Fixed or variable

Options
hubb
hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
My Tonik Gas duel fuel ends on Sept 10th and I need to switch soon before their rate jumps massively.

I can see on the cheap energy club that the cheapest (which is variable) and still about £24 dearer than my current tariff is offered by "Outfox The Market"

Avro offer the next at £60 more a year (ouch!)

Or for £36 extra a year I could go with Usio who are variable but there are no exit fees if I see a better offer in the meantime.

What would be your choice ?

Is Martian doing a collective energy deal soon ?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Martian is on a sabbatical!
  • egyptiancotton
    egyptiancotton Posts: 525 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:58PM
    Options
    I asked a similar question on another thread - whether to go fixed or variable. Outfox The Market's variable tariff came out as the cheapest at about £47 a month. Whereas a 24-month fix with Tonik came out at about £55. The advice I was given was to go for the cheapest and longest fix possible, with no exit fees.
  • hubb
    Options
    lloydyyy wrote: »
    I asked a similar question on another thread - whether to go fixed or variable. Outfox The Market's variable tariff came out as the cheapest at about £47 a month. Whereas a 24-month fix with Tonik came out at about £55. The advice I was given was to go for the cheapest and longest fix possible, with no exit fees.

It seems the longer the fix, the more you pay. For instance Tonik will be £69 for an 18 month fix which is about £10 more a month than I pay now. Shame as I woul like to stay with Tonik but they are hiking the prces massivley when my tariff ends soon.
  • hubb
    Options
    I have until the 10th Sept when my Tonik tariff ends. Of course if I instigate a switch now I won't be getting the full benefit of the Tonik prices as the best ones currently are a bit higher. But if I leave the switch until a bit longer I run the risk of prices rising in the meantime. Its a conundrum.
  • bri160356
    bri160356 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    hubb wrote: »
    I have until the 10th Sept when my Tonik tariff ends. Of course if I instigate a switch now I won't be getting the full benefit of the Tonik prices as the best ones currently are a bit higher. But if I leave the switch until a bit longer I run the risk of prices rising in the meantime. Its a conundrum.

It certainly is a conundrum.:eek:

With reference to your post #4 one possible(???) issue with paying a higher price in return for a much longer term fix is that we have no guarantee that the ‘minnow’ suppliers will still be trading for that duration;…indeed, there is no guarantee that all the Big-6 companies will still be around either.

I could be completely wrong but I rather get the feeling that Iresa’s recent demise could be the thin end of the wedge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure