What compensation should I be claiming/am I entitled to?

Options
Was meant to be on the following flight:

28th July - 14.05
British Airways
Ibiza -> Gatwick

It got cancelled at 6am on the 28th July and they gave me a rebooking option of:

29th July - 17.25 (more than 24 hours later)
British Airways
Ibiza -> London City (different airport)

I really needed to get back that day because of personal commitments, so I booked myself on an earlier flight at the cost of £250 + £64 for a taxi. Rather annoyingly this meant I only got 1hours sleep rather than 5hours :/

I just wanted to check what I should be claiming back for from BA and/or my Nationwide Flex Plus travel insurance.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fare plus the cost of the taxi minus your excess if you go down the insurance route.
    Whether the airline has any liability would be due to the reason why the flight was cancelled - was it an act of god or a technical problem with the plane etc?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No matter why the flight was cancelled, you had a right to CARE and REROUTING.

What you should have done was told the airline about the flight that you needed and asked them to book you on to it, rather than arrange it yourself. Anyway, you can certainly ask them to pay for it, and mention your right to rerouting.

Not sure about the taxi: would you not have had to pay for that anyway to get to the airport for your original flight? If not (for instance if you had to depart from a different airport) then that would also fall under the rerouting category.
  • Cheetah
    Cheetah Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    The flight I took was with another airline, TUI.

Do I need to call BA and tell them I don't want the rearranged flight? (it hasn't taken off yet).

The taxi was on the UK side, I landed in Luton, it was to get home from there. I had already arranged travel for getting home from Gatwick.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Cheetah wrote: »

Do I need to call BA and tell them I don't want the rearranged flight? (it hasn't taken off yet).

The taxi was on the UK side, I landed in Luton, it was to get home from there. I had already arranged travel for getting home from Gatwick.

You should certainly not "no-show" for the flight they have booked for you: that would allow them to claim that they had done all they needed to do. You need to refuse their offer of an unsuitable flight. And as mentioned earlier, they can book you on to flights operated by any airline although they would obviously prefer to use their own flights.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You could of got the train from Luton Airport to Gatwick for £30.30. You would have to get a bus that takes you from the airport to Luton Parkway but that's included in the price so half the fare of a taxi.
    If there was 2 or more of you then it was better to go by taxi but from the post i could only see that is just for you.
  • Voyager2002
    Options
    Boohoo wrote: »
    You could of got the train from Luton Airport to Gatwick for £30.30.

Could HAVE!

Is it not possible that the OP arrived at Luton at a time when there were no trains?
  • Cheetah
    Cheetah Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    An issue with me claiming on both travel insurance aswell?
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An issue with me claiming on both travel insurance aswell?
    -

Yes, that is a problem.
    IMHO you can either sort things out with the service providers or you can try to claim off your travel insurance- but generally there is an excess. Usually on the claim form you are asked if you can/have claimed elsewhere.
    Maybe claim on the insurance if you come to an impasse elsewhere but you will probably need to prove that so keep all your correspondence.
    If claiming through the ABTA scheme you have to swear an oath in front of solicitor or JP!! getting money back is not always that easy...
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure