PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Parking

Options

Comments

• EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be surprised if the house had on street parking for one car that you could reliably call your own - it's a street, a free for all presumably? You could very easily come home to find a neighbours visitor parked there. Councils will often charge an annual fee for using their car park as your own but still won't allocate you a personal space.

I think you need to give up on this one as a non starter and put 'driveway for 2 cars' top of your list even if that means moving a bit further out of town or to a smaller house. Some will say it's a daft thing to be so bothered about but I know when I bought a house it was top of my list. I just know I couldn't sleep at night worrying about my precious car on a street somewhere, or deal with the stress of coming home every night and not knowing how far from my front door I may have to park, and not being able to wash and hoover my car properly. But that's my problem and so I bought the right house to suit my needs.
  • ExNicotineQueen
    Options
    EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the house had on street parking for one car that you could reliably call your own - it's a street, a free for all presumably? You could very easily come home to find a neighbours visitor parked there. Councils will often charge an annual fee for using their car park as your own but still won't allocate you a personal space.

I think you need to give up on this one as a non starter and put 'driveway for 2 cars' top of your list even if that means moving a bit further out of town or to a smaller house. Some will say it's a daft thing to be so bothered about but I know when I bought a house it was top of my list. I just know I couldn't sleep at night worrying about my precious car on a street somewhere, or deal with the stress of coming home every night and not knowing how far from my front door I may have to park, and not being able to wash and hoover my car properly. But that's my problem and so I bought the right house to suit my needs.

This times a hundred. Not to mention if you had young children / or had done the weekly food shop / it was raining heavily and you have to walk a fair distance etc.

Don't forget that all it takes is for a new set of neighbours to move in and if they have 3 or 4 cars between them and there are no allocated spaces, that means it's a free for all........

The amount of houses I've viewed which would have been perfect in every other way - except there was no driveway or able to get one put in is crazy. But if it's a non-negotiable need, then you just have to keep searching.

Can the property have a driveway put in?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can the property have a driveway put in?
    The fact that the on-street parking is (almost) full suggests they'd be unlikely to get consent for a driveway, even if that were otherwise feasible.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    OP, there is no right to parking, so the only way you can guarantee parking is if you buy a house with it's own off-street parking, or if you buy or rent a separate garage or parking space.

So if this is a priority for you, then you probably need to look for a different property which has its own parking.

The situation is not likely to change for the better so the issue is whether you still want the house without parking, and knowing that you may not always be able to park outside or near. *and if the council car park is a pay and display, look into whether they sell season tickets and what they cost, and if it isn't, bear in mind that it might become one, or that the site may be sold for development in future.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • smem18
    smem18 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The number of stories I have heard from people who have fallen out with neighbors over street parking. Lots of families have more than one car now, sometimes three or four if the kids are still living at home, so it can be really difficult to find parking on the street. A driveway is absolute number one on my list of "non-negotiables" when I buy my future house (right now I have a flat with an allocated space). Seriously consider whether you want this house, because a lot of buyers will get put off in the future because it doesn't have allocated parking
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If parking bothers you in the slightest, then NEVER buy a property without sufficient allocated parking.

Unless you own a parking space, then you have NO right to park a car.

And don't forget that even if there is street parking, that might not always be the case.

In some cities where people park on the pavements on both sides of the street, then councils could easily ban this and half the amount of parking.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have 2 issues:

1. You don't have a parking space for 1 car outside the house, anyone can park there.7

2. The unofficial car park can be taken away anytime.

Not somewhere I would buy, I would buy a house with a shower and no bath (even if no room to buy one) but parking is number 1 priority.
  • Robby1988
    Robby1988 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a terraced house (being all we could afford in our desired area) and we searched for ages to find one which had a private parking facility around the back. Would not have bought one that didn't, relying on street parking is just a recipe for stress in my opinion. Who really wants to be messing about doing a parallel park into a space 100 yards from your front door in the pouring rain after a bad day at work and/or with a load of shopping bags to carry. You'll also waste time in your life getting worked up over neighbours parking in 'your spot'.

OP - keep looking.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:24AM
    Options
    I wouldn't get past first look if a house didn't have 2 parking spaces. My first house didn't and it was a nightmare
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, unless you apply for a disabled space.
    davidmcn wrote: »
    And even disabled spaces aren't personal, they can be occupied by anybody displaying a blue badge.

Very rarely some Councils might be persuaded to provide a parking bay dedicated to a single resident with a blue badge who is unable to have a normal blue badge bay because other blue badge holders would park there (e.g. in town centres). When that happens the bay is usually set up as a resident permit bay using a zone identifier for which only a single permit issued.

But the chances of the OP being able to get one of these is almost certainly zero, unless there is more information we've not yet been given.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport