What's in your wallet/purse?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    Pay at Pump isn't a definitive indicator of online as the card issuer can disable this or not. My (RIP) N&P debit card worked at Pay at Pump but other issuers (e.g. RBS) disable Pay at Pump on their online debit cards.

I like the flexibility of a (cheapie) debit card when travelling ;)

It's the same with contactless payments. It was touted as being quick as the retailer didn't have to authorise it at the point of transaction etc etc. Yet if I'm receiving an instant alert from the Starling app that I used my card, then some connection is being made to the outside world from the retailer.
  • username
    username Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the same with contactless payments. It was touted as being quick as the retailer didn't have to authorise it at the point of transaction etc etc. Yet if I'm receiving an instant alert from the Starling app that I used my card, then some connection is being made to the outside world from the retailer.
    I think they have recently changed this so that ALL contactless transactions now have to be authorised online, irrespective of how they are made (using a card, device etc) and for whatever amount.

It's not so noticeable in places which have a permanent connection as only adds a second or two onto the transaction time, however, those places with stand alone card machines connected to a dialup phone line it is most apparent the transaction goes online, and is like returning to ye olde days when cards came out.
  • Heathereve
    Options
    Reminds me of the days before I had mine stolen !!!128549;
    Keep them safe guys because it's a lot of hassle getting them all replaced and even remembering exactly what was in there
  • MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've recently had a clear out of my purse and this is the condensed version :o

Debit cards x 4
    Tesco credit card
    Tesco clubcard
    Sparks card
    AA breakdown card
    Driving licence
    Library card x 2 (mine and my 4 year old's)
    National insurance card
    Give blood card
    Co-op card
    Boots card
    Matalan card
    Morrisons card
    Hairdresser appointment card
    £10 note
    Just under £5 in change
    Trolley coin x 2.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    username wrote: »
    I think they have recently changed this so that ALL contactless transactions now have to be authorised online, irrespective of how they are made (using a card, device etc) and for whatever amount.

It's not so noticeable in places which have a permanent connection as only adds a second or two onto the transaction time, however, those places with stand alone card machines connected to a dialup phone line it is most apparent the transaction goes online, and is like returning to ye olde days when cards came out.

I suspected as much - Waitrose and Tesco used to spit out the receipt virtually instantly, now they take a few seconds.
  • cardi_b
    cardi_b Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Coutts Debit Card
    Coutts Silk Credit Card
    HSBC Premier Debit Card
    Barclays Premier Debit Card
  • deadendwaterfall
    Options
    Halifax Current Account debit card

Tesco clubcard

Nectar card

Stagecoach megarider smartcard

Various library cards

Hull College student card
    :o
  • hangonthebox
    hangonthebox Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Yorkshire Bank contactless Debit Mastercard
    Yorkshire Building Society Cashcard (YBS e-saver)
    Boots Advantage Card
    Co-Op Membership Card
    Liverpool Libraries card
  • LMcScrooge
    Options
    If anyone is still on this thread, i'll add the contents of mine, after I ask this; Why do so many of you have multiple debit cards?

My wallet contains as of writing this:
    Debit card
    Library card (I'm surprised so few people have one)
    Nectar card (currently worth about £10)
    Morrisons More card (yet to use, may cancel)
    £10 note
    Couple of £1 coins

I chose a wallet over cardholder as I couldn't deal with the mini heart attack that comes with not being able to feel it in my pocket.
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    LMcScrooge wrote: »
    Why do so many of you have multiple debit cards?

Could be down to the fact that you get them dished out whenever you go for another high-interest current account offering and could also be because you sometimes need a debit card to log into online banking.

Quite why people carry them all around with them is another matter - and potentially quite risky.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback