PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did a (for me) absolutely giant shop today, after rearranging some cupboards and realising just how many extra tins I can squash in there.

£43.40/£100!!!

I'll probably do three more shops for this month, but that leaves me less than £20 a week.... we'll see! It's going to be a very vegetarian month from here on in, I think.

Planning on making a tuna noodle casserole tonight, except more of a tuna pasta casserole because I haven't got any tagliatelle. Mainly because I found a random tin of tuna in the clear out.

The other half of the week is going to be bangers and beans in a pan which is easy and tasty and not something you can stuff up without trying very hard.

(Don't judge, I live on my own and get in from work at around 7.30pm... I can eat the same thing over and over because I'm normally so tired I can't remember yesterday at that point anyway :rotfl:)
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, may I join in please? I used to be here a lot a few years ago but then life got in the way. My budget is £400 for all supermarket shopping including cleaning items, personal bits and bobs, the occasional magazine or birthday card.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NSD for me today,

B; porridge
    L: bits and bobs in the fridge
    D: turkey, Home grown veg, fruit pie made with some of last years fruit and custard

I need to do a meal plan later and a shopping list. i know I need potatoes.
  • Luciecat63
    Luciecat63 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No spends for me either today.
    I used up eggs and mushrooms with crispbread for brunch and had pork and potato curry with rice and roasted veggies for dinner. Snacking on grapes before they go off. I have put in an order at Mr T for Tuesday because I have accumulated quite a few vouchers and want to use them up before I lose them or they go out of date. I have also just found an M&S gift card which my sister gave me for Christmas so there will be a few edible treats to come.
    January 2021 Frugal Living limit £339.50, target £300
    Fashion on the Ration
    Declutter 2021 items in 2021.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2019 at 9:09PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, first spends of the month @ £16.80. To be honest, not much actual meals in there, got wash liquid, plant milk(s), vegan mayo, coffee, mushrooms, banana, ginger, avocado, couple of cans of coconut milk, some fishless fingers from Holland & Barratt (mmm not sure where my head is at). I'm off to Brighton 2moz, so meals will be eaten out (different budget), maybe a no spend day, but need to do a proper stocktake n meal plan on my return. I'm putting my £20 per month drink budget back in place - it's for the best - sigh..... I still have alcohol lurking in the cupboard from last month - it was fun while it lasted, but i need to get myself fit(ter). Happy Sunday everyone xx.
  • Fairie
    Fairie Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning campas, we had a spend of 12.80 at the farm shop yesterday plus a pound for an emergency bar of chocolate bringing our running total to £166.85.

Yesterday we had

B- savory pancakes with mushrooms and spring onions
    L- left over stir fry
    T- hm crispy chicken bits with new pots and sweet corn
    Snacks- breakfast bites, fruit, hm healthy chocolate brownie plus some of the emergency chocolate ��

I found a recipe for a chocolate brownie using wheat biscuits eggs and yoghurt , I wasnt keen myself (not sweet enough for me) , but my diary free partner loved it (I used soya yoghurt).

I've just had leftover pancakes for breakfast and the girls will probably have cereal when they eventually wake up. Left over chicken for lunch, snacks will be the same as yesterday. Vegetable casserole for tea.

Aiming for a ns day today, but will have to do the weekly veg shop tomorrow.
    Have a lovely day x
    Just the mortgage to go = £255,000 Aug 23
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spent a little more than usual, but I did purchase some cleaning supplies. Still within my budget of £20 a week. £18.46/£80
  • susan946
    susan946 Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

Today's meals
    B home made granola with apple and grapes
    L ham and salad,fruit yoghurt
    S him - leftover chicken traybake, me - poached egg on toast after swimming.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3 x NSDs in a row for me! Admittedly that was because I just ran out of time to pop down to the market yesterday lunchtime, and I may pay for that by having to buy some bits at supermarket prices instead, but - so far, so good!

The forecast for tomorrow is a rainy day; it's my bread-baking day, and I'll be making some ice-cream too, with fruit that might otherwise go to waste. I made 5 jars of mango chutney today, from a box of mangos that was just £1 on the market on Friday because they needed using up fast. Yesterday's leftover roast chickens have been stripped & stock made from the carcasses, which will turn into soup tomorrow, and the rest went into this evening's curry. Tomorrow's tea will be cauli-brocco-macaroni cheese, with beans, which suits everyone, but after that I'll be winging it with things from the freezer for the rest of the week.

We don't have as much allotment veg as usual, thanks to my indisposition earlier in the year, but the runner beans are producing fit to bust & the freezer's filling up fast. Working now on getting the winter veg in; leeks, carrots, chard & kale, mostly, but there may still be a few pumpkins & squashes. There's going to be a bumper crop of apples to process shortly; quinces too, and the blackberries are ripening fast. Probably best if I stay out of the shops & get on with that lot!
    Angie - GC May 24 £232.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    spent 1.80p at the local supermarket. I think it's the first time I've ever gone into a supermarket and come out with just one needed item.

So far so good and I've even done a loose meal plan

Today was
    B: porridge
    L him- egg on toast, me -soup then fruit for both of us
    D:him, -turkey from yesterday with a bit of ham turned into a pie. me -pilchards on toast, jelly with fruit ice-cream
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure