SIde Extension - Shared Driveway

Options
13»

Comments

• JJJones
    JJJones Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Chanes wrote: »
    This is going to sound defeatist, but I think it would be more pragmatic to just sell and move somewhere where you would have the space you want. Legal bills from neighbour disputes fill acres of internet pages and resolutions have seldom seemed amicable or cheap. And you never know, the thought of you leaving - as you say a good neighbour for many years - may shake them into a compromise to keep you? New neighbours would give them the unknown.

We think they've never objected before because they dont want us to move and risk difficult neighbours, so they've lead us on all these years.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    JJJones wrote: »
    We think they've never objected before because they dont want us to move and risk difficult neighbours, so they've lead us on all these years.

Alternative interpretation is that they never thought you would actually get round to building one, so there way no need to rock the boat and upset anybody.
    Regarding having a 2 metre wide access on their side of the fence, you wouldn't get a modern car through that.
  • jbainbridge
    jbainbridge Posts: 2,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Many people have problems with shared driveways .. I’m afraid in this case it seems like you’re the problem. Whatever made you think you could build on land you don’t fully own?
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 24 August 2019 at 3:32PM
    Options
    JJJones, I understand you're disappointed but instead of complaining that your neighbours led you on, are acting out of spite, are strong-arming you or are only objecting because money might be involved, you need to look at your own role in this.

You have lived in your house for years. The deeds and your ability (or inability) to extend as you wish to have not been a secret, you could have checked at any point when you bought the house and since, particularly whether or not your neighbours could or might object. You're blaming your neighbours for your own lack of due diligence and whilst I can see that you're upset by their apparent friendliness and willingness to accommodate your plans in the past, the onus was on you to check whether what you were planning was feasible and likely to be approved. I'd suggest it wasn't because you couldn't be sure what objections might arise, and that's no one's fault but your own. You've invested in your house at your own risk, again, not your neighbour's fault.

Even though the planning authority are minded to grant approval, anything could have happened over the years to scupper your plans. Your neighbours might have moved, died or used their land lawfully in such a way as to make your plans unviable. As it is, faced with the reality they've decided they object. That's their right.
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    What responsibility, if any, does the planning department have to ensure that a planning proposal actually falls within the boundary of a property. Or is checking that aspect purely the responsibility of the person submitting the plan?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm wondering what would have happened if the extension had been built then new neighbours move in next door & find they have Right of Way through the OP's extension!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    What responsibility, if any, does the planning department have to ensure that a planning proposal actually falls within the boundary of a property. Or is checking that aspect purely the responsibility of the person submitting the plan?

None. You can apply to build in the garden of Buckingham Palace if you like.

This does fall within the boundary, but there is a right of way.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • TELLIT01
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    None. You can apply to build in the garden of Buckingham Palace if you like.

This does fall within the boundary, but there is a right of way.

Thanks. I thought that was the situation. It's just that I've read a few posts where people were seemingly under the impression that permission would not be granted if there would be boundary issues.
    That didn't seem to be logical, but logic isn't always the deciding factor. :-)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JJJones wrote: »
    Yeah they admitted they thought it would never get accepted. Such as shame they never said anything, instead of investing the money into the house we could of moved to a bigger purpose built property years ago.
    Both of you were not fully clued-up then; the neighbours because they thought it would never happen, hopefully saving them acrimony following an objection, and you, because you didn't read or understand your title documents.

People usually follow the line of least resistance. We're doing that with one of our neighbours over a different matter, because when disappointing news arrives, it's usually the messenger who's shot.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    .... when disappointing news arrives, it's usually the messenger who's shot.
    Ironically, about 4 hours after posting this yesterday, I was approached by a neighbour who told me she's arranged for some walls to be repaired and painted by the local estate management comittee.

"That's nice" I said, but why are they doing this when you and I own them? Who's paying? Is it free?

Her manner changed immediately......:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport