Thank you Martin

Options
Well I ditched the full One tel package and went down to their standard tariff which still includes the free weekend calls and directory enquiries .

The rest of the time I am using 18866 with excellent results and my phone bill has been cut to about £3 a month , excluding the dammed BT line rental .

I still use 1280 to access BT for 0845 and 0870 numbers .

The scheme does take some discipline but so far has worked brilliantly.

So thanks Martin , good article

Best wishes to you all

David
'The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides with the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and good will shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon those with great vengeance and with furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Comments

• rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    I've just done exactly the same.

But could you explain about the 1280 thing is it cheaper to call 0845 & 0870 numbers through BT. ???

Thanks in advance

Debs
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• sergeant121
    Options
    I've just done exactly the same.

But could you explain about the 1280 thing is it cheaper to call 0845 & 0870 numbers through BT.  ???

Thanks in advance

Debs
    Yes, BT are the 'cheapest' BUT, it's cheaper still to call 0845 and 0870 numbers on a geographical alternative if you can find one (i.e. for a 1p flat rate at any time of the day on 18866).

Many geographical alternatives are available on http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php
    30 years, 217 days!
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,631 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I ditched the full One tel package and went down to their standard tariff which still includes the free weekend calls and directory enquiries .

The rest of the time I am using 18866 with excellent results and my phone bill has been cut to about £3 a month , excluding the dammed BT line rental .

I still use 1280 to access BT for 0845 and 0870 numbers .

The scheme does take some discipline but so far has worked brilliantly.

Joining TalkTalk's 1+ tariff gives you free evening and weekend calls for a year (not just free evening calls like Onetel) + you get £10 cash if you are referred by an existing customer (see my signature for details)

Even better you can keep your Onetel account open but convert it to an InternationalTalk account - which you access via their 1877 code - this still gives you access to their free directory enquiries service.

As for the rest, you can continue to use 18866 and 1280 - but your bills will be even smaller!

Regards
    Sunil
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    But could you explain about the 1280 thing is it cheaper to call 0845 & 0870 numbers through BT. ???

BT are generally cheaper than most other companies for 0845 and 0870 calls - therefore if you have switched your line to another supplier (like TalkTalk or Onetel) and prefix your call with 1280 BT bill you for that call - you benefit from their lower rates for these..

Also see my other post about the benefits from changing from Onetel to Talktalk..

Regards
    Sunil
  • Hanoijane
    Hanoijane Posts: 179 Forumite
    Options
    Sunil - Assuming that your CPS is with talktalk;

Do you need to use 1877 code (i.e. 1877 118111) to access the free directory enquiries service, or does it recognise your number as an InternationalTalk customer if you just dial 118111?
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    Sunil - Assuming that your CPS is with talktalk;

Do you need to use 1877 code (i.e. 1877 118111) to access the free directory enquiries service, or does it recognise your number as an InternationalTalk customer if you just dial 118111?

If you are on TalkTalk:

You would need to dial 1877 before the 118111 to get it free as you would then be recognised as a Onetel customer.

If you just dialed 118111 (with no 1877 prefix) TalkTalk would charge you for the call as you would be calling it as "their" customer

Regards
    Sunil
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lovely to see you Mistral - hope all is good :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • rushnowt
    Options
    Sunil or anyone else that can help

i've done everything you suggested now with the landline, however can you explain how to make the cheapest calls to a mobile from a landline, is it through talk talk, onetel or 18866. sorry if i sound dim and to be a pain. :-[

Thanks in advance ;D

• sergeant121
    Options
    Sunil or anyone else that can help

i've done everything you suggested now with the landline, however can you explain how to make the cheapest calls to a mobile from a landline, is it through talk talk, onetel or 18866.    sorry if i sound dim and to be a pain.  :-[Thanks in advance  ;D
    It will depend on the day/time of day and the network you're calling (compare the below):

TalkTalk's mobile rates (click on whichever TalkPlan you're on on the left and then scroll down when 'your' page comes up).

OneTel's (International Talk Package) mobile rates.

18866's mobile rates (scroll to the bottom of the list).

BUT, 1899's mobile rates are lower during the week (10p per minute).
    30 years, 217 days!
  • rushnowt
    Options
    Thanks for the info Heinz, i've had a good read through it all now and think i know what i'm doing :-/ lol

Having a landline is not for the faint hearted these days ::) :o lol

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family