The first hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Options

Comments

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing really well on matched betting and the over-payments. Congrats.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £183,754 Equity 26.5%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.65K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks guys :).

I actually had another good matched betting result earlier this week and made £83, however I also ended up spending £105 at the vets (seriously need to try and find a new vet) which wasn't anticipated so my winnings went towards cushioning the blow of that rather than an overpayment (boo).

We're paid on Monday. Sadly I have nothing left in the current account to OP, but I owe £10 on the credit card lol. To be honest this has been a really rubbish month for bills, and it has been a long pay month too so I'm content with that as we've pretty much made it without spending much on the CC. I'm determined next month will be better though.

I will overpay the usual £1000 on Monday. I was looking at the overpayment calculator - that will take us to about £7000 overpaid since the end of March. The calculator says we have saved a bit over 8k in interest and taken 13 months off the term. It would take one of us about 4 months to earn that 8k we have saved. That's how I see overpaying - yes it is a bit restrictive, but we are basically buying time off work.

With Mondays overpayment and the regular payment we should be at at about £278 :j.
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Sorry to hear about vet. Does your vet offer a pre-payment plan at all or is it worth getting insurance? We pay for regular insurance on the dog and the cat and pay £15 pcm for the dog to the vet - that gives us all worming and flea treatments, a couple of nail cuts, and 10% off future bills. You may find it cheaper to self insure.. upto you.
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.25K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Thanks saving. I did actually have insurance for 6 years until about 2 or 3 months ago, but rabbit insurance doesn't cover dental issues usually, and as with most animals pre existing conditions aren't covered so on balance I decided it wasn't really worth it. Cover was up to 2k and I have that saved if there were some sort of emergency. Vaccinations aren't too bad and at least they are expected so I can plan for them.

Quick mortgage update. 1k paid off yesterday, plus £3.50 from cashback and £41.42 as got lucky with the matched betting today.

Am slowly plugging away!
    Finally bought a home
  • StripeyTightsSpottySocks
    Options
    Hi Nichelette

Thank you for posting on my thread. Now found yours and will subscribe :)

Fantastic overpayments - that is brilliant :T

A meal with your hubby sounds good :) We do try and have date nights when our shifts allow, although i do find it hard trying to find the balance between living / paying. If meals out aren't your thing maybe there's something else you could also introduce such as going to movies / theatre / museum - something you enjoy doing which will be quality time together?

I wanted to write to say a lot in your opening post really resonated with me - helping family financially to the point of it impacting on a house purchase is something i too have been through. As well as feeling i've been trying to play catch up. Now i just try and look forward x

Love hearing the stories about your rabbits too - hope both are doing well now x
    Mortgage Balance
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Thanks stripey. I have subscribed to your diary and will try to pop in. It's great you are posting often, I find it motivating myself :).

We've actually been sitting down on a Saturday night to watch a film which has been nice. It's our anniversary next month so we will go out for that at least!

My bunnies are like my kids :o. I'm such an animal lover. We would both love a dog but we both work office hours so it's not practical at the moment, but I live in hope!

Mortgage wise I've paid another £5 off from a survey. I'm being quick tonight but there is some other stuff I do that I will share when I have more time.

Had to buy husband a black suit (£85) for his mum's funeral as he has one but it's blue (pretty horrendous experience and we need to swap the jacket because it's too small, I stupidly asked him if it fitted rather than looking). I need to get something for myself too as I'd rather do it now than when the time comes. I'm trying to encourage him to spend as much time up there as possible but the flights are costing a small fortune. I don't begrudge it at all, but they are expensive. My stepdad works for virgin trains so he's going to help us with some cheap trains to Scotland.

Anyway, we plod on!
    Finally bought a home
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Sound like you are doing well under difficult circumstances. Glad you got to have a date night.
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Thanks saving. I've sent another £6.25 off this morning thanks to a prolific payout. I know I said I'm mostly paying lumps now, but I'm continuing to do these small odd amounts of 'extra' money as they all add up. For example, the matched betting accounts for about £350 of my overpayments and that has mostly been outside of the football season.

Off topic, the squirrel that lives in our garden has nearly eaten all my blueberries I was growing (there were loads!), but he seems to love them and I like watching him so I'm letting him have them. I'm hoping he doesn't like courgettes too :D.
    Finally bought a home
  • savingholmes
    Options
    Nichelette wrote: »
    Off topic, the squirrel that lives in our garden has nearly eaten all my blueberries I was growing (there were loads!), but he seems to love them and I like watching him so I'm letting him have them. I'm hoping he doesn't like courgettes too :D.

Love it - I'm like that over the birds eating our cherries and plums
  • Nichelette
    Options
    Quick update from me.. another £75 overpaid since yesterday from winnings. I'm edging closer to half my overpayment target for this year :).
    Finally bought a home
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family