First Credit Card. Car Hire Abroad.

Options
Adamc
Adamc Posts: 440 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Hi all

I wondered if anyone could advise as I am looking to get my first credit card to hire a car abroad. I quite risk averse when it comes to debt so have always steered clear of them but am now looking into it.

As mentioned, my sole purpose is to rent a car abroad (first time also) and I am not sure which type to get.

I plan to pay it off as soon as I get home. Would it therefore be easier to get a credit card through my building society and mortgage provider (Nationwide)?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Either that or try an eligibilty checker.

You may not be able to get the best deal, such as a forex free card, but given the circumstances, anything will do.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,233 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you don't have a credit card now - you might find you get declined on application - but depends on your overall history. As has been said - a lot of credit card providers now have eligibility checkers to see if you are likely to qualify - they might be worth trying and wont impact on your credit history. If it's just for a single use - and never again - it might be worth asking your own bank (nationwide) as they have all your history already on file, and assuming there's nothing negative lurking in the background I imagine would most likely say yes.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • forestwn6
    forestwn6 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    Get a Nationwide card or a Halifax Clarity [you do not need a Halifax account to get one] Both cards do not incur foreign exchange charges, and provided you pay off the balance at the end of the month they are easy and convenient to use. You will find more information under Travel on this site.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    forestwn6 wrote: »
    Get a Nationwide card or a Halifax Clarity [you do not need a Halifax account to get one] Both cards do not incur foreign exchange charges, and provided you pay off the balance at the end of the month they are easy and convenient to use. You will find more information under Travel on this site.

Poorly worded advice. Not every Nationwide CC is forex fee free.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/credit-cards/our-credit-cards/our-cards

Only the Select in this case. You have to earn it with their standard card.
  • MisterBaxter
    MisterBaxter Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    If you have a current account and mortgage with Nationwide and both are in good standing I would try them. If you want to avoid fees and don't like the idea of using credit you may still be able to pay cash for the car and just use the credit card for the security part, the car hire company will only charge the card if you cause damage or fail to comply with other T&Cs such as fuel & mileage.
  • Adamc
    Options
    If you have a current account and mortgage with Nationwide and both are in good standing I would try them. If you want to avoid fees and don't like the idea of using credit you may still be able to pay cash for the car and just use the credit card for the security part, the car hire company will only charge the card if you cause damage or fail to comply with other T&Cs such as fuel & mileage.

Thank you - that was the intention.
  • Adamc
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Poorly worded advice. Not every Nationwide CC is forex fee free.

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/credit-cards/our-credit-cards/our-cards

Only the Select in this case. You have to earn it with their standard card.

Would you suggest the Halifax card? I do have a Halifax ISA.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Adamc wrote: »
    Credit card providers do not normally take your savings into consideration.

Given that you have a Nationwide account and mortgage, I would try to get the Nationwide Select credit card. This is the one with no fees for foreign purchases.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Adamc wrote: »

Halifax Clarity is a good choice. Nationwide Select also good, but the problem with applying for that is that they might offer you their standard card instead.
    Don't neglect to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance, if necessary.
  • MisterBaxter
    MisterBaxter Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Don't neglect to purchase standalone car hire excess insurance, if necessary.

Don't be surprised if you have to have an argument with the people at the car hire place over this. They don't seem to like it when you bring your own, much cheaper, insurance with you. I picked up this advice from MSE and have to say it is cheaper but on the three occasions I've hired a car in the Canaries it has been a battle to convince them I don't need to pay their insurance as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure