Moving address on esa, no HB will a UC claim be triggered?

Options
Hi.
Have looked at numerous threads similar to this, some from a while ago. Am getting concerned as can't find a situation that mirrors my own which is as follows :

My son is in his 40's, living at home, on income related support group ESA and gets the lowest amount of pips for mental health issues, he doesn't claim for anything else like HB or CT. I would really like to move house, but am extremely worried about what it will do about his benefit claim. Moving house is going to be stressful enough on him, having his benefits stopped and making a new claim for universal credit (with the 5 weeks wait) I feel will just be too much for him to handle.
So if I move will he have to make a new claim or not? I understand that if I move within the same authority area it will just be a change of address that will not trigger a move to UC, is this correct? I'm not too sure what happens if I move out of the area.
I am feeling a little trapped so any info would be greatly received, thanks.

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    julesc54 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Have looked at numerous threads similar to this, some from a while ago. Am getting concerned as can't find a situation that mirrors my own which is as follows :

My son is in his 40's, living at home, on income related support group ESA and gets the lowest amount of pips for mental health issues, he doesn't claim for anything else like HB or CT. I would really like to move house, but am extremely worried about what it will do about his benefit claim. Moving house is going to be stressful enough on him, having his benefits stopped and making a new claim for universal credit (with the 5 weeks wait) I feel will just be too much for him to handle.
    So if I move will he have to make a new claim or not? I understand that if I move within the same authority area it will just be a change of address that will not trigger a move to UC, is this correct? I'm not too sure what happens if I move out of the area.
    I am feeling a little trapped so any info would be greatly received, thanks.
    Where ever you move because no claim for help with rent will be needed then this won't prompt a move to UC. It will just be a simple change of address for your son.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure