How Does JSA Work ?

Options
venomx
venomx Posts: 1,118 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 21 July 2019 at 7:22AM in Benefits & tax credits
Am i right in saying, you have to sign on every week at the job centre and have to look and apply for a set amount of jobs. If you don't take a job when offered, the benefit stops ?
Also for a 26yr old male it would be about £73 per week ?

Are you eligible for JSA if you work part time ?

Or is that not right ? Thanks

I'm asking because my ESA50 is under assessment and i'm not ready to work full time yet due to mental health problems ( I do have a diagnosis and psychiatrist ). I'm anxious about my benefit being reduced or stopped

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,049 Forumite
    Options
    venomx wrote: »
    Am i right in saying, you have to sign on every week at the job centre and have to look and apply for a set amount of jobs. If you don't take a job when offered, the benefit stops ?
    Also for a 26yr old male it would be about £73 per week ?

Or is that not right ? Thanks

I'm asking because my ESA50 is under assessment and i'm not ready to work full time yet due to mental health problems ( I do have a diagnosis and psychiatrist ). I'm anxious about my benefit being reduced or stopped
    All areas are now a full Universal Credit area and new claims for Income Related JSA are no longer possible, unless you claim severe disability premium in with your ESA?

I see from another thread that you're claiming PIP. Do you live alone or classed as living alone and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you?
  • venomx
    Options
    I do have carers who visit me each week for a few hours. ( Yes i live alone )
    If they cancel my ESA how am I supposed to pay my rent ? Some comes from housing benefits and the rest comes from me.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    I do have carers who visit me each week for a few hours. ( Yes i live alone )
    If they cancel my ESA how am I supposed to pay my rent ? Some comes from housing benefits and the rest comes from me.
    Do you claim severe disability premium in with your ESA? It's an extra £65.85 per week, which takes your ESA amount to approximately £192 per week. If you're claiming the SDP you won't be able to claim UC.
  • venomx
    edited 21 July 2019 at 8:24AM
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Do you claim severe disability premium in with your ESA? It's an extra £65.85 per week, which takes your ESA amount to approximately £192 per week. If you're claiming the SDP you won't be able to claim UC.

On the PIP letter it says i'm entitled to £57 per week for help with daily living ( not mobility )

I think ESA is about £190 per week.
  • naturaljazz
    naturaljazz Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have carers visit, if you are claiming carers allowance it makes a difference, or it may be that they are mental health workers employed by NHS etc and not you. You cannot get Severe Disability Premium if someone is getting the Carers Allowance, you dont have to say on here, just for you to bear in mind.

Links are to help you (or someone who is helping you) to read up on things including UC.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Severe-Disability-Premium/Can-I-get-a-Severe-Disability-Premium

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/universal-credit-for-disabled-people

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-disability-universal-credit
    Remember when you judge someone, it does not define them ... You define yourself :j
  • poppy12345
    Options
    I think ESA is about £190 per week.
    This means that you're claiming the SDP and won't be able to claim UC if you're found fit for work with ESA.

Claiming JSA is possible with a fit/sick note from your GP for an extended 13 week period. My advise is to wait until a decision's been made on your ESA and if it's bad news then start another thread and someone will give you further advice.

I know it's easy to say but worrying about something before a decision's been made isn't going to help, try to think of something else while you're waiting. Yes, i know it's very difficult but there's nothing you can do in the meantime.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options

see https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Working-hours-benefits-rules/How-are-benefits-affected-by-hours-worked

If it is income based JSA any earnings will be taken into account when deciding whether you are entitled to be paid any JSA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • venomx
    Options
    With JSA you must accept an offer for a job, or else the benefit gets cancelled or is that not right ?
  • CARRYONFILM12
    CARRYONFILM12 Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Options
    With JSA you must accept an offer for a job, or else the benefit gets cancelled or is that not right ?
    No, it isn't.

I got offered a job as a fluffer.

But I'm not really into that kind of thing.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,879 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It's not that simple. It depends on your jobseekers agreement and the reason you're not accepting the job, and has to go to a decision maker. Benefits aren't cancelled but there may be a sanction which can be appealed.
    But I agree with other posters that you are getting ahead of yourself - one step at a time, it may never come to that.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure