Drydenfairfax solicitors

Options
Hi I'm hoping for some advice,
In october 2018 my OH received a letter from Arrow Global which was titled peridic statement, in this it claimed they had obtained a debt for £5000 from New Day, my OH knows nothing of this debt. The letter states the agreement was taken out with New Day Sept 2011 and assigned to Arrow Ocotber 2016 but this is the first we've heard of it. My OH called arrow and told them he didn't know anything about the debt and would not acknowledge it, they confirmed to him on the telephone that no payments have ever been made to this debt and it was for a store card but that was it, he then asked them to send proof as in a credit agreement to which they said they didn't have it. He then also pointed out to them that the debt was statue Barred as it was over 6 years old, Arrow then said they would remove his name from the files.
8/03/2019 we receive another letter from Arrow informing us that the management of the account has now been transferred to Drydenfairfax solicitors, we then receive a letter from Drydenfairfax on 09/03/2019 demanding payment in full by 14/03/2019.
I have downloaded the prove it letter as yet we still have no idea what this debt is, just want to check I am going about this the right way to send the prove it letter recorded delivery and wait for their response?

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Yes, send provit letter first, they have to prove your liability.

Newday are the finance behind brands like Argos card.

See what they come back to you with, statute barred responses must be sent in writing never just verbally.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Black2406
    Options
    Thank you, I will send recorded delivery tomorrow.

Could this be why they didn't remove his details from the file as it was discussed over the phone? BTW never had an argos card so still unsure what the debt is? Only store card either of us has ever had was me when I was in my early twenties and it was a sears card was paid off many moons ago :-)
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Yes most likely, things said over the phone cannot be proved at a later date can they.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Black2406
    Options
    Hi update,
    So we have received from Drydenfairfax copies of statements which show no payments being made only what’s appears to be them moving the money arriund and adding fees, the credit agreement has our address slightly incorrect and my oh has not signed it his name is printed and dates 2011. From what we can make out this is for an Asda card which we’ve never had?
    What do I do now do I send the statue barred letter? Thanks in advance
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I'd send the hybrid letter - post 5 here

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2606811

as long as the default date was before July 2013
  • Black2406
    Black2406 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    So how do I know what the default date was? They have only sent a statement from 2014 but the agreement was taken out in 2011.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Black2406 wrote: »
    So how do I know what the default date was? They have only sent a statement from 2014 but the agreement was taken out in 2011.

If you don`t know, then there`s a fair chance they won`t know either.

I would just go ahead and send the letter, stay off the phone to them, see what response you get fom that.

They have admitted they have no agreement, which pretty much kills this dead in the water anyway, as its a very good defense to any court claim.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has he checked his credit files for any defaults? Sounds like the card was taken out online or over the phone so it's an electronic signature, if slightly incorrect then probably taken out over the phone unless person online purposely misspelled address. Not sure I get what you mean moving money around, from where to where? I assume they will say its not SB if payments have been made on it.
  • Black2406
    Options
    Hi the statements show a “payment received” line then directly underneath “payment reversal” for the same amount then the next 2 lines are returned payment fee and late payment fee. They have included a summary for 2014-2015 which shows no payment was made throughout the whole year. When oh first received this from arrow last year he did call them and they confirmed that no payment had been made from when it was taken out in 2011. I think I will send the hybrid letter and see the response I get
    Thank you for your help guys
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Black2406 wrote: »
    Hi the statements show a “payment received” line then directly underneath “payment reversal” for the same amount then the next 2 lines are returned payment fee and late payment fee. They have included a summary for 2014-2015 which shows no payment was made throughout the whole year. When oh first received this from arrow last year he did call them and they confirmed that no payment had been made from when it was taken out in 2011. I think I will send the hybrid letter and see the response I get
    Thank you for your help guys

Also remind them without a valid credit agreement, they cannot obtain judgement against him in court.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure