B & Q Diamond Card not as good as I'd thought

Options

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Options
    Plenty of places offering the same crap as B&Q at cheaper prices even like for like items.
    You could probably get most of it online delivered to your door for less than they charge.
    HTH
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    The best way to get the sort of stuff B&Q sell at a discount is to go to Toolstation or Screwfix instead.

My local B&Q is the opposite side of the road to Screwfix, so I always check the price on their websites before deciding whether it is worth queuing up in Screwfix.

Recently I have found the prices in Screwfix are no cheaper than B&Q and often are slightly more expensive (buying 1 item and not bulk).
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    Contrary to their names I find Screwfix better for things like tools and Toolstation better for hardware.

B&Q seem to me to be moving away from DIY and hardware towards fitted kitchens etc. My local B&Q Superstore has sold off half its space for an Aldi supermarket so they can't be doing all that well.

I do get stuff at B&Q from time to time but certainly only on Wednesdays and after checking the other two's websites.
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I find B&Q expensive for most things. I really only use them for plants, some wood (not all), gravel. I mostly use toolstation as its close to me than screwfix and is close by too B&Q anyway
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Poppycat wrote: »
    I find B&Q expensive for most things. I really only use them for plants, some wood (not all), gravel. I mostly use toolstation as its close to me than screwfix and is close by too B&Q anyway
    B&M bargains are much cheaper for plants and they are always having reductions when new stock is due. The last two years I've bought 24 plant trays of pansies and violas for £1 each.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    B & Q have stopped the 10% discount for Diamond Card being used online. It's in store only.
  • lucielocket_2
    Options
    Hi

Quick question!

I am thinking of buying a shed from B&Q that says the stores do not stock it, but if I go into a store, could I order it and still get the 10% diamond club discount?

Many thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We filled up one of those large trolleys with quite a bit of bathroom stuff took about 30 mins choosing cost about £350 got to checkout only to be told can't use Diamond card, no warning.
    The "warning" is in the terms and conditions you will have signed (but doubtless not read) when you applied for the Diamond Discount Card.
  • harrisom66
    Options
    I was under the impression that using this card on a Wednesday entitled me to 10% on B & Q prices.

So I was a bit surprised to find it excludes items when you are buying goods on promotion. So if you are buying say 4 items for a certain price, there is no point in shopping on a Wednesday as you don't get any discount, just like any ordinary customer.

I am sure this is a new tactic by B & Q as I can't remember having this problem before.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement, I would have thought the discount offer would be across the board for ALL prices.

In future I will check prices without taking into account using the Diamond Club card discount and probably end up shopping elsewhere.
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    harrisom66 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that using this card on a Wednesday entitled me to 10% on B & Q prices.

So I was a bit surprised to find it excludes items when you are buying goods on promotion. So if you are buying say 4 items for a certain price, there is no point in shopping on a Wednesday as you don't get any discount, just like any ordinary customer.

I am sure this is a new tactic by B & Q as I can't remember having this problem before.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement, I would have thought the discount offer would be across the board for ALL prices.

In future I will check prices without taking into account using the Diamond Club card discount and probably end up shopping elsewhere.

Why? The T&C's you agreed to say otherwise:-

14.0 The discount may not be used in conjunction with any other offers or promotions, including meal deals and other price discounts.

Not that uncommon a policy in other stores.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure