Loft Boarding/Ladder/Lighting

Options
2»

Comments

• d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So logistically, if we were going to buy timber and chipboard, and board it ourselves (or partially board anyway), what should we do first?

Raise floor and board OR have the ladder, new loft hatch and lighting fitted. In order for the fitted ladder to fit in the loft properly when the hatch closes, I assume it has to be attached to the RAISED floor which would imply we have to raise floor and board first...

We got the loft hatch installed first. They made a box frame which was screwed into the joists. The loft ladder folds into the lid so it doesn't need to attach to the ceiling:

https://sunluxroofwindows.co.uk/loft-ladders/354-4-section-58cm-x-92cm-wooden-loft-ladder-hatch-h-up-to-280cm.html

It was then relatively easy for me to go up and down into the loft.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could always remove the soft insulation and replace it with solid insulation like PIR board. It takes up less space so you wouldn't need to raise the floor
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • dancing_star
    Options
    I got my cousin to enlarge the hatch, add a ladder, total cost about £250. I fitted loft legs and boards myself, total cost prob £300 or so? Can't remember.

I did it on my own, and I'm no DIY expert, borrowed a leccy screwdriver off my dad and wore a headtorch. It wasn't hard. Nastiest job is unrolling and re-rolling the insulation (my loft had double layer, cross-laid.

There was no way I was paying someone else to do it, so I just put on my big girl pants and did it myself. And if I can, you can especially if there's two of you!
  • Pa_Ja
    Pa_Ja Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on the finish you want.
    If your joiner is recommendable then the results will be great. £1200 for materials and labour is probably right assuming it's mid range.

I boarded my attic on the stilts. I'm a complete novice and was happy with what I achieved.

If doing it again thought I'd remove the itchy insulation and use PIR board. Keep researching / Googling before you make your mind up.
  • TheOne
    TheOne Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Regarding the loft hatch. I made an insulated loft hatch myself. I used the little plastic joining blocks to fit the timber to the outer piece of board, filled it with insulation and then nailed the smaller piece of board to the timber. You'll notice bits cut out to accommodate the ladder.

Image link:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnLlCLQU3MN9inUQTrfmBYZ655ks
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TheOne wrote: »
    Regarding the loft hatch. I made an insulated loft hatch myself.

I would make my own if I could work out a way of it opening into the loftspace instead of downwards.
    I have shelving below, so not sure what will work. At the moment the lofthatch fits into the hole and is pushed upwards to gain entry.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    You could always remove the soft insulation and replace it with solid insulation like PIR board. It takes up less space so you wouldn't need to raise the floor

Sorry to butt in but is this a viable option when there is already insulation down? Out attic is braced in a W shape [don't know what tha's called] and if exchanging PIR board for the current insulation is a viable option, it would be a lot easier to board the attic just for storage doing that instead of adding legs. The attic space is small so it's never going to be an option to make a room and adding more height by using legs etc willmake it totally unsuable.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure