First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In what way were you able to help?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    why don't you go on to the existing suppliers website. Look for an offline tarriff and see if anything can be saved that way
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    Options
    An ideal person to get broadband supply, a smart phone .

Not necessary - just needs a family member with broadband to do it all on their behalf. I do for my MIL.
  • Senior_helper
    Options
    How was I able to help.
    I found that tariffs offered by a couple of other suppliers were not much different to those offered by the current provider. A person we spoke to at Npower was helpful and explained that
    most suppliers rates had increased by some 30+% over last 12 months. The client I was helping had a £100+ credit on his account so given the options he decided to stay with current company on their standard variable rate. At least he is not tied in if a better option shows up and sometimes it may be better the company you know.
    All the comments and advice given is really good as I will probably come across a few similar situations before too long.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that wasn't a great result was it!

Without internet access how will they know?

As the standard tariff is the most expensive, any other 1 year npower tariff would be cheaper!!!

Saying they aren't tied in is just stupid! You WANT to be tied in.

P.S These companies are much better at refunding your credit these days. So you could move. Martin recommends getting your credit back once a year.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    Options
    How was I able to help.
    I found that tariffs offered by a couple of other suppliers were not much different to those offered by the current provider. A person we spoke to at Npower was helpful and explained that
    most suppliers rates had increased by some 30+% over last 12 months. The client I was helping had a £100+ credit on his account so given the options he decided to stay with current company on their standard variable rate. At least he is not tied in if a better option shows up and sometimes it may be better the company you know.
    All the comments and advice given is really good as I will probably come across a few similar situations before too long.

I'm sorry but I think this was dreadful advice.

Even if the person wants to stay with nPower and receive bills quarterly and pay by cash or cheque then nPower offer a fixed v2 tariff that would save them £100 a year.

All that needed while you were on the phone was a request to swop.

With a bit more effort that £100 could be £200 (with say Bulb)
  • Senior_helper
    Options
    Just to clarify, I am an advocate, not an adviser. I tried to help someone to explore the options and then they make a choice. My advice, as some have mentioned, would be to ask a family member to get a deal set up for them how ever they felt was best. This was said in conversation but not taken up.
    I did feel I should have done better in exploring the options. That is why I started this thread initially.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I also do it for my MIL who can use a computer for simple things but finds trawling through energy sites a bit much. It's what son in laws are for! She gets a reasonable tariff with little or no aggravation. She has a smart meter but I doubt looks at it much/at all. The world, however, has not come to an end and if we move supplier and it goes dumb, well that's stupid but won't really affect her. Fortunately she doesn't obsess about paper bills.
    Not everyone will have someone to help, of course but this will deal with, perhaps the majority who find the online world a bit much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure