Bank Holiday - Scotland

Options
Might be a daft question but are banks closed on bank holidays in Scotland as they would be in England and Wales?
Im an ex employee RBS Group
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own

Comments

• grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Might be a daft question but are banks closed on bank holidays in Scotland as they would be in England and Wales?

Yes
    tells me my message is too short so I will add that the first Monday in August is a Scottish bank holiday. Maybe the odd one in a city might be open.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    Yes
    tells me my message is too short so I will add that the first Monday in August is a Scottish bank holiday. Maybe the odd one in a city might be open.

Actually the answer is partly yes and party no.

Nearly all branches will be shut on all English bank holidays, as they were agreed in the 1990s by all banks to be UK non-banking days.

On Scottish bank holidays some branches (usually smaller ones) may close - it's most likely to be the case on Jan 2nd. There are no other Scottish-only bank holidays that apply across the entire country so branch closures will be decided at a local level, but I would expect most larger branches, and many smaller ones, to remain open on those days as the rest of the banking system will be running as normal.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My local branches have "closed on 27 August" signs up, no mention of today.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Actually the answer is partly yes and party no.

Nearly all branches will be shut on all English bank holidays, as they were agreed in the 1990s by all banks to be UK non-banking days.

On Scottish bank holidays some branches (usually smaller ones) may close - it's most likely to be the case on Jan 2nd. There are no other Scottish-only bank holidays that apply across the entire country so branch closures will be decided at a local level, but I would expect most larger branches, and many smaller ones, to remain open on those days as the rest of the banking system will be running as normal.

Yeah I was just reading up on that... Just called HSBC and they say it’s open I’m just going into Glasgow now so I’ll see what happens.
  • stclair
    Options
    Thanks for the responses walked past HSBC, TSB and Nationwide and they are all open.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Yeah I was just reading up on that... Just called HSBC and they say it’s open I’m just going into Glasgow now so I’ll see what happens.

Back in the early 90s we used to have to set up different schedules for the daily processing of core banking transactions for Scottish and English branches when a bank holiday was coming up. It was fraught with danger for things to go wrong, so we all breathed a massive sigh of relief when it was decided that Scottish banking would use English bank holiday dates. Even if a branch closes for a local holiday its processing will still be done as normal, and I suspect that at least one person from the branch might have to be in work to confirm everything had been done OK.
  • stclair
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Back in the early 90s we used to have to set up different schedules for the daily processing of core banking transactions for Scottish and English branches when a bank holiday was coming up. It was fraught with danger for things to go wrong, so we all breathed a massive sigh of relief when it was decided that Scottish banking would use English bank holiday dates. Even if a branch closes for a local holiday its processing will still be done as normal, and I suspect that at least one person from the branch might have to be in work to confirm everything had been done OK.

I noticed today they had signs up saying they was closed on 27 August which is an England bank holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family