Uk & Irish Passports

Options
2»

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    So there will be no difference to today.
    Are you sure ?

Simon Calder appears to be telling a different story.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/etias-brexit-schengen-area-british-passports-online-visa-a7879876.html
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    The agreement on a Common Travel Area between Britain and Ireland has nothing to do with the EU. We can be confident that Irish passport holders will continue to be allowed to enter the UK without fees.

Post 4 indicated that he was thinking of going to Spain.
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    There is some useful information here about how to travel using dual passports in general: https://travel.stackexchange.com/questions/52100/i-have-two-passports-nationalities-how-do-i-use-them-when-i-travel

Of course in this case you *should* be able to just use the Irish one as others said, but looking at what happened to the Windrush people I don't know if I would trust that any more. I'd want to make sure I had my UK one just in case.
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The arrangements between Ireland and Britain have nothing to do with "Windrush people" nor Brexit.
  • DavidUriach
    Options
    Hello! I had the same question when I got my Cyprus passport through investment through Tranio)))) was confused and wrote to many different organizations because I wanted to fly out from London with my UK one and come back through France but with a new one... Apparently you can't do that, if you left with one you have to return with the same one in the system. I don't know if the same rule applies to Irish but I guess yes.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Apparently you can't do that, if you left with one you have to return with the same one in the system. I don't know if the same rule applies to Irish but I guess yes.

That's sort of correct but not totally.

When flying internationally you have to have your passport details registered with your airline and the registered passport must match the one you present when you check in or have you passport examined prior to boarding.
    However, there is nothing to stop you flying out on your UK passport then once you are at your destination, changing the details on your booking to show the other passport. (this probably wouldn't be allowed for countries where you are travelling in on a visa or visa waiver).

I had to do this on BA when the passport I left the UK on (my UK passport) was submitted for a visa overseas and it didn't arrive back with me before I had to leave the country so I travelled back on my Irish passport.

Provided that your non UK passport gives you unfettered right of entry into the whatever countries you travel into then the passport that you use for travel with an airline doesn't always have to be the same one that you show to immigration when you get to your destination.
    You could check in at the airport with your Cypriot passport then provided that your other passport allows you entry into the country that you are flying to, present that 2nd passport to immigration.
    It might cause a few delays and get you questioned as to why you are doing it but provided you have a valid reason, there is nothing illegal in doing so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure