Electric Car Battery Lease - do I need GAP insurance?

Options
Hi,

I have recently bought a Renault Zoe with Battery Lease. In my leasing information pack, the value of the (22kwh) battery is just over £6k.

If, in the event of an accident, would my insurance pay off the battery value AND value of the car to me?

Do I need to take out GAP insurance (car is 2yo) and would that cover me?

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge with this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Please look after your battery.
  • ratrace
    ratrace Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I have recently bought a Renault Zoe with Battery Lease. In my leasing information pack, the value of the (22kwh) battery is just over £6k.

If, in the event of an accident, would my insurance pay off the battery value AND value of the car to me?

Do I need to take out GAP insurance (car is 2yo) and would that cover me?

Does anyone have any experience / knowledge with this?

Thanks!

Its very good that you have thought of this now and not after an accident ifi was you i would ring my insurance company asap to clarify where i stand and if they have paid out before on other electric cars
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,236 Forumite
    Options
    The battery is integral to the car, and should therefore be covered. However, since it's leased, any payout should be to the leasor rather than to you.

As above, speak to your insurer ASAP.
  • So I contacted Aviva and they have updated their policy for electric cars and the battery lease! They would provide any car value settlement to myself and then deal separately with Renault regarding the battery - if it can be returned undamaged or the lease paid out. big Phew! :T

I'll watch the average price of the car on autotrader for a few months before deciding on GAP insurance I think...
    Aklight - " Please look after your battery."
    Clearly I'm not planning a destruction derby but I also cannot control every other driver on the road - better to know what my insurance covers me for before I need it rather than find out it doesn't cover what I need after the event!
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,236 Forumite
    Options
    There is an ongoing "Electric Cars" thread on the forum which has attracted more than 2,000 posts to date. Perhaps some of the "experts" there could contribute some practical advice?
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There is an ongoing "Electric Cars" thread on the forum which has attracted more than 2,000 posts to date. Perhaps some of the "experts" there could contribute some practical advice?

Sure thing. Physically, the EV battery is classed as part of the car. If you're not paying a separate lease for your battery, it's part of the car and the insurance should cover it - simple.

If you're paying a separate battery lease (loads of Renault Zoes, some early LEAFs), it could be more complicated.
    Either an insurer, or the person you speak to, has a clue, or doesn't. If you ask the question 'My car is electric, is my leased battery insured?' and they say yes, good, go for it. If not, go elsewhere. Plenty of insurers now are fine with it, more are updating all the time. I was with Admiral multicar for 2 years with my Zoe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure