Budgeting for cars?

Options

Comments

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 November 2019 at 7:48AM
    Options
    I do the same, bought a 57 plate Volvo V70 D5......£2800 a year ago.
    Will run it till it dies......it's 12 years old now, I reckon I will still have it at least another 7 years.
    I'm a big fan of a cheap but quality car bought at 10+ years old. My Range Rover cost £4K & I've had it for 7 years now. When The Range Rover eventually needs to go in a few years then I was considering a Discovery 3 but might take a look at the big Volvo estate as they look cheap & the diesels are pretty economical.
  • ex-pat_scot
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of a cheap but quality car bought at 10+ years old. My Range Rover cost £4K & I've had it for 7 years now. When The Range Rover eventually needs to go in a few years then I was considering a Discover 3 but might take a look at the big Volvo estate as they look cheap & the diesels are pretty economical.

I had a Discovery 3 from new. 225,000 miles before it died.
    It wasn't cheap to run though, and needed plenty of tyres (heavy vehicle with tracking issues), suspension bushes etc.
    When it died it got broken for parts. Pretty much the whole lot got recycled.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You would like to think the newer the car the better the fuel efficiency and the better the safety features.
  • ffacoffipawb
    Options
    Must learn to read properly, I thought the title of this thread was "Budgeting for care".
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,799 Forumite
    Options
    I have a small garage so a small car. I do buy new but keep at least 10/13 years. Never take it to a repair garage for its MOT & you save a fortune. I learnt that quite a few years ago (via MSE), unfortunately that was after I had a £900 bill on a car's first MOT that I was fairly convinced was a rip off. Felt patronised etc one of the penalties of being a woman.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    So it seems to me the 'secret' of low cost car ownership is to keep your car for as long as possible and look after it. The starting point of that cunning plan may vary, but actually if you keep it long enough, a sensibly priced new car is not as stupid as 'common sense' might at first assume. Keep the car as simple as possible to minimise expensive bits going wrong. Mind reset required!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    Keep the car as simple as possible to minimise expensive bits going wrong. Mind reset required!
    If only we could reset the minds of the manufacturers to stop making things too stupidly complicated! Things like electronic handbrakes and keyless ignition replacing things that worked perfectly well with something that means you can't even tow the car to the garage when it goes wrong. Grrr.
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    Options
    I always followed "Bangernomics" until Mrs CRV insisted that I buy a newish (3 year old) car due to a long commute and high work miles. My intention though is to keep running it after retirement until it gives up the ghost.

Mrs CRV always buys a new CRV, every 3-5 years, I might buy hers off of her when she replaces it- 4 years old and 7.5k on the clock, FSH. She always has a 4x4 due to the amount of snow we get.

I did try pointing out that with depreciation she'd save money using a taxi but was told very clearly that as she pays for hers and I pay for mine it is up to her.

We're budgeting running costs in our number, but planning on saving 250 pm for purchase costs in retirement, again part of our number.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • Parking_Trouble
    Options
    Got a Honda CRV that we bought new in 2004.
    Bulletproof and I'll run it into the ground now it's worth next to nothing.

Not economical on fuel but only do 2k-3k miles per year using it as a capacious dump/removals truck and perfect dog transport for weekends away.

Other car for now is Audi A1 which wife needs for her job.
    Bought from new (saved loads on Carwow) and now 3 years old. Just paid up the balloon payment, mostly with a long term low interest loan and £3k from savings. Monthly costs have come down by £90 so feels like we are better off.

When the wife packs up work in a year or so, we'll change to something that could be our only car. Needs to be able to transport a large dog economically but needs a bit of oomph. Estate or SUV, maybe a new CRV??? Prefer new but might be 2-3 years old max. Budget £250 max per month.
    Mr Straw described whiplash as "not so much an injury, more a profitable invention of the human imagination—undiagnosable except by third-rate doctors in the pay of the claims management companies or personal injury lawyers"

• Anonymous101
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    So it seems to me the 'secret' of low cost car ownership is to keep your car for as long as possible and look after it. The starting point of that cunning plan may vary, but actually if you keep it long enough, a sensibly priced new car is not as stupid as 'common sense' might at first assume. Keep the car as simple as possible to minimise expensive bits going wrong. Mind reset required!

I'd agree with that and perhaps add that purchasing the vehicle after most the depreciation has occurred is perhaps the other 'secret'.

Buying a car at 3-4 years old with relatively low mileage and keeping it for as long as possible is the key for me. There's other small strategy's for saving on the purchase price etc but really its about buying for a good price, not paying interest on loans and holding onto it. Same principle as lots of things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure