Budgeting for cars?

Options

Comments

• JoeEngland
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    So it seems to me the 'secret' of low cost car ownership is to keep your car for as long as possible and look after it. The starting point of that cunning plan may vary, but actually if you keep it long enough, a sensibly priced new car is not as stupid as 'common sense' might at first assume. Keep the car as simple as possible to minimise expensive bits going wrong. Mind reset required!

Financially buying a new car is not commonsense when you could buy a one or two year old with 10-15k miles for several thousand quid less. Buying new is a matter of personal preference more than anything else.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 10:06PM
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    Hmm, 8k every 5 years seems extravagant to me!

That's what we're budgeting for.... doesn't mean we'll actually spend it!!;)

Our current car's 4 years old and only done 15000 * miles (bought at 1 year old for £12k), so we'll probably keep it (alot) longer. We polished it last week and it looks like it's just left the forecourt!

TBH we can't see anything we'd prefer at the moment as it ticks all our boxes. Until then we'll just keep rolling over the budget.

* Don't worry, it's a petrol!!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OldBeanz wrote: »
    Another thing to consider is buying an automatic. In another 10 years all cars will be automatic(electric) and a favourite way for oldies to demolish walls is by getting pedal confused. Some recommend learning to drive an automatic in your 60's rather than 80's.
    I really am not looking forward to the day I have to drive an automatic.
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    I haven't had anything else for about 15 years :D
  • shinytop
    shinytop Posts: 2,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What miserable bunch of old skinflints we are with cars (myself included). Hasn't anyone blown a large chunk on something exotic? ;)
  • cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    westv wrote: »

LOL! They have changed massively in recent years. I’ve driven a few in the past (& lots in the US), & like you, hated them. Slow, thirsty, clunky: just awful!

Then came the new world of 8+ speed gearboxes....

I was also conscious of older relatives struggling with gears, and didn’t want to make the shift too late (as OldBeanz suggested, albeit I was just coming up to 50!)

My XC60 has a silky smooth 8-speed: I took a bit of a punt as there were none in the country when I ordered, and the older 6-speed was pretty agricultural.
    I’m converted.
    Especially with the adaptive cruise control: long runs are a pleasure, and around town it is a doddle.

Also meant now we have the KonaEV, we are fully auto. Nice vehicles!
    shinytop wrote: »
    What miserable bunch of old skinflints we are with cars (myself included). Hasn't anyone blown a large chunk on something exotic? ;)

I still have a sporty (*cough*!) little Nissan Figaro for sunny days......the fam won’t let me sell him, even though he does under a thousand miles a year....I know, not very MoneySavingExpert, but he always puts a grin on people’s faces!.....could that count? :rotfl:
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For me part of the joy of motoring is being in control of the gears.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    shinytop wrote: »

I am currently seem to be blowing a large chunk on my 12 year old Volvo S80, which is why I asked the original question :rotfl:
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Triumph13 wrote: »
    If only we could reset the minds of the manufacturers to stop making things too stupidly complicated! Things like electronic handbrakes and keyless ignition replacing things that worked perfectly well with something that means you can't even tow the car to the garage when it goes wrong. Grrr.
    In an earlier age my late father felt the same about such innovations as electric windows ("just another thing to go wrong") & sunroofs ("putting a hole in the roof is just a way of guaranteeing a leak").
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    So it seems to me the 'secret' of low cost car ownership is to keep your car for as long as possible and look after it. The starting point of that cunning plan may vary, but actually if you keep it long enough, a sensibly priced new car is not as stupid as 'common sense' might at first assume. Keep the car as simple as possible to minimise expensive bits going wrong. Mind reset required!
    As mentioned I am in favour of buying a quality car at 8-10 years old for about £2-4K. I bought my current Range Rover for £4K eight years ago when it was 10 years old. It would have cost about £50K when new. My previous Audi A6 which I ran for 6 years cost £2K & was about £40K when new. I enjoy driving around in leather & walnut but wouldn't dream of paying for all the depreciation on an upmarket car.

My other car that I use for commuting is an 8 year old Smart Brabus that I bought 2 years ago for £4K which is my upper limit for any car purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure