PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not-so-moneysaving anti-tips?

Options

Comments

• THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    My Le Creuset was a wedding present over 40 years ago so I think it was well worth what my aunt paid for it ( I think she bought it in France).
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    THIRZAH wrote: »
    My Le Creuset was a wedding present over 40 years ago so I think it was well worth what my aunt paid for it ( I think she bought it in France).

That's a totally different scenario.
    In the episode I saw they 'road-tested' 3 similar pots.
    Le Creuset, Sainsbury's & another.
    When asked which they thought was the most expensive, not many chose Le Creuset.
    Not very scientific eh?
    Steph McGovern chips in with 'thats massive' referring to the price differential.
    Very irritating. (Imho).
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And this week's classic of...you could save £11,000...if you let out your annex as a holiday let.

Where is it, what beautiful part of the country, where tourists abound?....Milton Keynes!!!!:rotfl:
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    Not sure if it counts but 'Shop Well for Less' annoys me with tips like 'Those expensive knives/curtains/white goods you bought three years ago? Get rid of them and buy some cheaper ones!' So you're spending more money on buying cheaper versions of perfectly functional items you've already got? Can't see how that saves you money.

(Yes, ok, if you're needing to replace them then looking for cheaper options may be money saving but that's not the case with the families being shown!)

I find that programme infuriating. The irritating presenters don't help but they make ridiculous suggestions.

For example, while I know they're a rip off, no child will be happy with any old football shirt when they want the team strip. It doesn't work like that. :(

The savings all seem retrospective. So this week's programme where they had 2 ovens, microwaves and washing machines wouldn't save anything much by getting rid of them. All it does is advise anyone daft enough to copy them.

Mostly they'd be better off advising them to live within their means going forward and just stop buying other than essentials.

I think the other programme (can't remember what it's called) where they encourage people to cook rather than buy takeaway is far more realistic.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I find that programme infuriating. The irritating presenters don't help but they make ridiculous suggestions.

For example, while I know they're a rip off, no child will be happy with any old football shirt when they want the team strip. It doesn't work like that. :(

The savings all seem retrospective. So this week's programme where they had 2 ovens, microwaves and washing machines wouldn't save anything much by getting rid of them. All it does is advise anyone daft enough to copy them.

Mostly they'd be better off advising them to live within their means going forward and just stop buying other than essentials.

I think the other programme (can't remember what it's called) where they encourage people to cook rather than buy takeaway is far more realistic.
    That will be 'Eat well for less'.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    DWhite wrote: »
    For me, quite contraviertionally, it’s ‘stocking up’ as in, buying something that’s on offer and bulk buying. Partly that comes from my work background as we see value of stock on hand in terms of cash as that’s effectively what it is. In my restaurant we have an average of 10 days stock on hand. I’d be willing to bet there’s quite a few people have a lot more than that in their homes!

Yes, but in a business the working capital is probably borrowed at a high rate of interest.

For most individuals if the cash wasn't used on BOGOFs it would be in a bank account at 0% and decreasing against inflation. It's probably better to invest money in a storecupboard than leave it in a current account.

Certainly the 72 tins of steak in gravy I got at 35p each have more than held their value compared to current retail prices (£2.40).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many people talk of going to shops at the right time for YS stuff; that would only work if you happen to be in there and/or live round the corner. The cost of driving to a shop, say every day, perchance of a YS means the cost of fuel to get there/look outweighs most savings for most people most of the time.

There are few actual YS bargains to be found - 10,000 people look in a day, one person posts "look I got this whole leg of lamb for £1".

Add up the cost of acquisition of a bargain and it's often more costly than walking in when you want it and buying at full price.

Ditto many other commodities: The cost you spend "looking" for the number of times you could be looking is greater than the cost of buying new/full price.

Today it's Sunday.... I could go out every Sunday to a car boot sale to look for bargains.... by the time one's paid for fuel/parking/entry that round trip to visit two could easily cost £10. That's £500/year.... you could buy a lot of brand new "decent stuff" for £500, instead of the armfuls of things you don't really want but bought as it seemed a bargain, but those items didn't really add anything to your lifestyle when you scan your eye across it all.

I'd like to go to a car boot every Sunday - I know that it's simply not "money saving" to trek out week in, week out, perchance of a good find. ... because the annual cost of £10 there/back/in + the cost of things I buy while out that I'd have never bought if I'd not gone out is simply not worth it.

If you've the spare cash and it's just "a pleasant activity", then you're dipping into your activities money pot and that's fine.... but if you don't have an activities pot as there's no money, then it's all just "fooling yourself you're saving money".
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do agree on the over stocking of Bogof and similar bargains. It,s important to recognise the sort of personality you are. If you're a disciplined person who will make the time to sit down and consciously menu plan so that such items can be used in a timely fashion and you can avoid the "being sick to death at the thought eating yet another meal containing x y z, then they can be a worthwhile investment.

But we 're all creatures of habit and often such "bargains" end up being a waste of money in the long run when we can't resist them. The marketing people know how to pull strings only too well !

I must however admit to some advantages to paper plates occasionally. I recently held a buffet function at home for a dozen people and not longer being in my prime, these affairs can be quite exhausting. Just being able to dispose of a lot of the debris afterwards reduced the stress and physical effort in clearing up. But I certainty wouldn,t advocate using them in a regular basis.
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    Wraithlady wrote: »
    Not sure if it counts but 'Shop Well for Less' annoys me with tips like 'Those expensive knives/curtains/white goods you bought three years ago? Get rid of them and buy some cheaper ones!' So you're spending more money on buying cheaper versions of perfectly functional items you've already got? Can't see how that saves you money.

(Yes, ok, if you're needing to replace them then looking for cheaper options may be money saving but that's not the case with the families being shown!)

Definitely! I can't stand all this changing for change's sake malarkey. Growing up, my family weren't poor (father had his own engineering business, mother gave up her office job when she married and money was never short), but I was brought up to save for stuff if you couldn't afford it right now and also to buy well, just the once. Whilst I'm not quite like my parents insofar as they had one (handmade) three piece suite that lasted sixty years of marriage, I prefer to buy stuff I love and decorate round it.

Many of our treasures are ebay, flea market, carboot or auction finds. Our curtains are expensive fabrics that I have no intention of falling out of love with or changing just because I can. Some I made, some were vintage when we got them. The 'newest' were made ten, the oldest purchased almost twenty years ago. No following fashions here. Unless we were so hard up we needed to raise funds by selling those more expensive things - have been there in the past and did offload a few pieces via eBay, but we're fortunate enough to be able to keep enough to furnish our home - why would I want to swap good quality items for cheap rubbish? Ridiculous imho......

Consumers are under increasing pressure to change their home decorating (and everything else) as often as their undercrackers :p
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Lurcio2019
    Options
    Like Pollycat I buy the brands I like when on offer. I usually buy one item as a replacement for the one in use. Items such as coffee, olive oil and some tinned foods, I don't pay the full price for. Items usually come on offer again before I need to replace. It's also useful for when OH says we are running out of something, I usually have it's replacement waiting in my understairs cupboard!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure