PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not-so-moneysaving anti-tips?

Options

Comments

• medsdemon
    medsdemon Posts: 761 Forumite
    Options
    I also hate this programme. It’s pretty ridiculous.

On the subject of Le Cruset, I have one casserole that I got for a wedding present 27 years ago, regularly used every year of that for casseroles. One good thing they do is when the knob goes you can just get a replacement for that, probs not offered with the cheaper brands. I bet they never mentioned that. I can see it outlasting me. Maybe I should add it into my will :rotfl:
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My Jumbo Le Creuset casserole pot is 50 years old now, very stained inside and has developed a few blotches on the base where the enamel has worn away. I thought le Creuset were supposed to offer a lifelong guarantee and sent them a photo damage but they refused to replace it.

I may have to retire it soon. It,s so heavy when full of hot bubbling contents that I can barely safely lift it in and out of the oven and am looking for a substitute product which will do the same job.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I keep a decent stock of food in the cupboard and quite often have one week or ten days per month where I only buy essentials as i.e fresh fruit and veg as I can happily eat from my cupboards. This month for example I had very little to buy at all as I was coming away on holiday yesters (am sitting in my holiday house as I type in the sunshine) so my food bill for this month was less than £10.00, and some of the left over stuff from my fridge came in the cool box with me yesterday. Nothing gets wasted and when I go home at the end of the month I will probably only buy strict essentials then for a few days as I am off to Torquay on the 17th September for another weeks break so for two months this year my food is well below my normal £60.00 per month. The left over cash I shall use when I come home from Devon to replace anything thats needed and to make sure my food stock of tinned stuff is ok I have two grandsons who are off to Uni at the end of September so I willmake them a box each of stuff to go with them basic odds and ends that perhaps lads don't always think to buy :)
    Then Octobers budget will be for battening down the hatches before winter as when the weather is bad I don't venture out far. I have lists of what I have in store so nothing gets forgotten if I can help it :) I try to be like my late Mum and make a shilling do the work of two if I can
  • Brambleberry
    Options

Today it's Sunday.... I could go out every Sunday to a car boot sale to look for bargains.... by the time one's paid for fuel/parking/entry that round trip to visit two could easily cost £10. That's £500/year.... you could buy a lot of brand new "decent stuff" for £500, instead of the armfuls of things you don't really want but bought as it seemed a bargain, but those items didn't really add anything to your lifestyle when you scan your eye across it all.

Brilliant point, while I will often work out an estimate for cost/benefit comparisons I'd never thought of this one, and the YS point is bang on too - we can't all be in the position of being able to visit shops at the right time, and that is ok, we just need to know how our costs truly stack up so we can make informed choices.
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • CollieDog2
    Options
    medsdemon wrote: »
    I also hate this programme. It’s pretty ridiculous.

On the subject of Le Cruset, I have one casserole that I got for a wedding present 27 years ago, regularly used every year of that for casseroles. One good thing they do is when the knob goes you can just get a replacement for that, probs not offered with the cheaper brands. I bet they never mentioned that. I can see it outlasting me. Maybe I should add it into my will :rotfl:

Our sons have already picked out which pots they want! I've already given one son the Le Cruset steak/grill pan. The pots, I'll keep them until they are too heavy for me. The casserole dish is brilliant for rouladen.
    Formerly Known as WonderCollie
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If we're having a grumble can I add my voice? My pet peeve are people who complain that they're single so only need to buy one bottle of shampoo/talc/toothpaste and, therefore, BOGOF offers aren't for them. They're just being short sighted. BOGOFs are usually on toiletries and cleaning supplies - these items keep for years, so why not stock up and save money in the process? Next month, you can spend the shampoo money on something else instead and you won't have to resort to using shower gel to wash your hair because you forgot you used the last of the bottle yesterday.

Perhaps I'm odd, but when I supermarket shop, I'm not shopping for today or this week. I'm shopping to replenish my store cupboards, my fridge and my freezer. I don't shop every week. I like to have one packet in deep storage and one in the pantry so if, say, I finish the lentils their Tupperware container, I'll get the "new" bag of lentils out of the storage cupboard, decant it into Tupperware and add lentils to this month's shopping list.

- Pip (rant over)
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • honeythewitch
    Options
    Every four months or so dishwasher tablets are half price. To me, it would be madness to not buy enough to last until the next offer.
    I can think of far more entertaining things to waste money on. ;)

As for Le Creuset pans, I think it is more money saving to have decent pans that you know are going to work for you and not ruin food by having hot spots or buckling, and last a long time so that you dont have to keep buying over and over.

Also, if something brings you pleasure to use it or look at it, or if a stockpile takes away the worry of not being able to get to the shops etc, then it is worth every penny. :)
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    I like to have one packet in deep storage and one in the pantry so if, say, I finish the lentils their Tupperware container, I'll get the "new" bag of lentils out of the storage cupboard, decant it into Tupperware and add lentils to this month's shopping list.

I do exactly the same. I have a "spares" cupboard for things like beans, tinned tomatoes, pasta etc. and as soon as anything moves from there to the normal cupboard it goes on the list and I then pick it up when it's on offer.
  • Camomile
    Camomile Posts: 90 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Depends on the circumstances as well. If I have money to stock up on the item that is on the offer and I’m passing the shop then yes, I’d buy it.

As PasturesNew pointed out, the cost of going to the place might actually outweigh the benefit. I live in a rural area and there’s no point in me going to lidl/aldi where the trip is going to cost me more in fuel than delivery from tesco/asda for £1.50.

Don’t get me started on Eat Well... hard not to judge but depends on again on what financial circumstances you’ve had in your life.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,607 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Izadora wrote: »
    I do exactly the same. I have a "spares" cupboard for things like beans, tinned tomatoes, pasta etc. and as soon as anything moves from there to the normal cupboard it goes on the list and I then pick it up when it's on offer.

I do the same but camomile is right you do need to be able to afford to stock up. There's an elderly lady on here that keeps separate purses and I think she has one for 'stock' spending. It needs planning for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure